Bone Marrow transplant: a question of colour.

"Successful organ transplantation is achieved by ensuring the genetic match is as close as possible. In some cases it is also dependant on skin colour

Sky news reported on June 20, 2010 the surprising fact that the chance of a successful bone marrow transplant is dependant on the colour of the recipient's skin. This is not a racist statement but a statement of fact."

http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/bone-marrow-transplanation-a-question-of-colour-a252853

Does this put to bed the leftist lie that "race" is merely a social construct?

I think that you have misunderstood this. It means that it is far likely that a bone marrow transplant will succeed if the donor marrow is taken from someone of the same race.

Because of the apparent reluctance of those from ethnic minorities to be willing to be a bone marrow donor, there are far less transplants carried out on those from ethnic minorities .

I think that you have misunderstood this. It means that it is far likely that a bone marrow transplant will succeed if the donor marrow is taken from someone of the same race.

No that is presicely what i get from the article.

Races do indeed exist, but there are those who say that race is an outmoded social construct. But this can't be if a bone marrow transplant is unlikely to succeed if the doner and recipient are of different races.

No that is presicely what i get from the article.

Races do indeed exist, but there are those who say that race is an outmoded social construct. But this can't be if a bone marrow transplant is unlikely to succeed if the doner and recipient are of different races.

My understanding is that there are distinct differences in the genetic makeup and DNA of those from different races therefore, it is unlikely that there would be a near enough match for a successful transplant if the donor and the recipient are from different races.

I am one of those 'lefties' who doesn't think that distinct races really exist, and nothing in this convinces me otherwise. There's a lot of variation within humans, but it's retarded to divide them into distinct groups.

You have misunderstood us though 1ofthesedays (unsurprising considering that you're a complete idiot).

No-one, no matter how much of a lefty they are, thinks that there are absolutely no differences between someone with light skin and someone with dark skin apart from skin colour.

There is loads of genetic variation within humans, however there are no definite lines, for an example of this just look at the way anyone with any African heritage at all is called 'black' even though their skin colour may be closer to mine than to Mandela's.

Some pale blonde guy like say Andy Murray compared to some southern european darker type like Nadal are clearly quite different, yet they're both 'white' apparently.

And then look at someone like Lionel Richie and compare him to one of the Ghana players on Tv right now. Clearly they are very different but apparently they're both 'black'.

These terms are useful as descriptors, as in "he's the black/white guy in the middle" but they're not really useful for much else.

Archived