First aid kit contents

As we are now coming down with what seems to be colds we are thinking "why do we not have lemsips in"!

So .... a first aid kit is needed - so apart from the usual paracetomal, iboprofen and plasters - what would you put in one?

:help:

I'm assuming you're asking about a first aid kit at home, because if you're talking about a first aid kit at work then there are regulations :)

So, at home - basic painkillers, plasters, antihistamines, cough medicines, cold/flu dry-your-nose-up-stuff, a couple of non-stick burn dressings, a sling in case you need one ....oh and, a BASIC FIRST AID COURSE!

Honestly, if you haven't been on one, get yourself on a first aid course. Just basic stuff about what to do if someone burns or cuts themselves, or gets electrocuted, or falls off a ladder, or even suffers a stroke or a suspected heart attack..... it brings peace of mind, and you'll also know what to do if you're present when something happens. :)

I'm assuming you're asking about a first aid kit at home, because if you're talking about a first aid kit at work then there are regulations :)

So, at home - basic painkillers, plasters, antihistamines, cough medicines, cold/flu dry-your-nose-up-stuff, a couple of non-stick burn dressings, a sling in case you need one ....oh and, a BASIC FIRST AID COURSE!

Honestly, if you haven't been on one, get yourself on a first aid course. Just basic stuff about what to do if someone burns or cuts themselves, or gets electrocuted, or falls off a ladder, or even suffers a stroke or a suspected heart attack..... it brings peace of mind, and you'll also know what to do if you're present when something happens. :)

Just to add to this list: eye bandage, micro-pore tape, gauze, alcohol wipes, eye wash, small bandage....as for the cold, you cant beat Night Nurse before bed :)

no to anything like Paracetamol, or ibuprofen, and it's a definite no to antiseptic creams. (for a work-based box that is...)

The HSE says:

First aid at work does not include giving tablets or medicines to treat illness. The only exception to this is where aspirin is used when giving first aid to a casualty with a suspected heart attack in accordance with currently accepted first-aid practice. It is recommended that tablets and medicines should not be kept in the first-aid box.

plasters should be in individual wrapper, never in an open strip, as it's unhygienic.

Recommendations frim the HSE say:-

Q4: What should I put in the first-aid box?

There is no mandatory list of items to put in a first-aid box. It depends on what you assess your needs to be. As a guide, where work activities involve low hazards, a minimum stock of first-aid items might be:

■ a leaflet giving general guidance on first aid (eg HSE’s leaflet: Basic advice on first aid at work - see Q9);

■ 20 individually wrapped sterile plasters (assorted sizes), appropriate to the type of work (you can provide hypoallergenic plasters, if necessary);

two sterile eye pads;

four individually wrapped triangular bandages, preferably sterile;

six safety pins;

two large, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;

six medium-sized, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;

a pair of disposable gloves (see HSE’s free leaflet: Latex and you – Q9).

This is a suggested contents list only.

It is recommended that you don’t keep tablets and medicines in the first-aid box

Disposable gloves are highly recommended. Very useful if you have to deal with blood. Even with a home first aid kit, a visitor or workman could have an accident.

Yes, they protect both parties....but if you wash your hands properly (which you should be able to do, at home) then probably not necessary in a home first aid kit. Assuming of course that you don't have open wounds etc of your own....

Better to be safe than sorry SHshef - it only needs a little nick on your hand to infect or be infected.

Plus they come in handy for cleaning the loo if you can't find rubber gloves!

Better to be safe than sorry SHshef - it only needs a little nick on your hand to infect or be infected.

Plus they come in handy for cleaning the loo if you can't find rubber gloves!

Trust me, Andy, I can NEVER not find rubber gloves. They and I are are close partners in all things unsavoury!

It's easier to ask what I don't have in my first aid kit to be honest! If you're as accident prone as me then it's definitely better to be prepared.

The assorted medications aren't in the kit- they're separate in the kitchen. Then I've got a kit containing assorted dressings, absorbent stuff and bandages in a kit in the kitchen for emergencies in there, along with several sorts of plasters and an assortment of wound cleaning things for all the times I manage to cut myself.

Then upstairs I've got a big tool box which has support bandages, ankle supports, tubigrip, and everything from finger bandages and protective thingies to stop them from getting wet, full dressing packs, Steristrips and gauze to gamjee, gel burns dressings and hydrocolloid dressings.

I've also got a small kit of sharps and the like which goes with a basic first aid kit on holiday with us.

There's no point in having a first aid kit unless you know what to do with all of the ingredients of the kit though, so the course is important.

As we are now coming down with what seems to be colds we are thinking "why do we not have lemsips in"!

As much chance of that being a touch of hayfever as a cold at this time of year :)

We keep a few painkillers in a drawer, hayfever/allergy tablets, lemon drinks, some plasters.

If anyone need more treatment than that they need a trip to A&E ;)

Archived