How to cure spider infestation?

Asked for conkers today at the supermarket: too soon for the moment but I'll keep an eye on their shelves.

Can please someone advise whether I need horse chestnuts or the common conkers are good enough and what your experiences are.

-----

Extremely impressive demontration of RAID's power also this afternoon.

Before going out this morning I had bombed the living room, coming back this afternoon I open the door-window to the balcony (a notorious hide for spider by me) and as I am there I spray the sill and the cornice of the door window.

A couple of minutes later a big black spot on the cornice clearly indicates a rather biggish black beast. I t looked as if he was caught in the middle between the window and the cornice, more probably it was trying to hide some way and was disorientated by the spray.

I arm myself with broom and raid and march to the combat. Interestingly, in my nervousness I forgot to shake the can, as a result by "firing" a jet of almost liquid material came out directly on the spider, I sprayed from perhaps 60cm/less than 3ft.

The spider *instantly* transformed into a black ball with the legs completely furled, I had never seen the like of the speed with which it happened. I have used the broom to atomise the *******.

----

I am generally horrified even at a dead spider, I use long brooms because I don't want to go near them where I can see them clearly, or in the gravest cases I take my spectacles off.

But this was different. This was instantaneous and through the lightining speed at which the spider has folded its legs it was not even revolting to finish it off with the broom.

----

I had to remember my experience with such sprays as a child or adolescent, with the spider either frantically running away (horrifying!) or after a prolongued "treatment" remaining there as paralysed for a while before speeding away like hell.

This was utterly different. This was like a laser beam. I suggest to everyone whose fight against spider has priority over environmental or health concerns (I am one of those) to keep a can of Raid extra for this use, to be employed without shaking the can first. Besides, the utter curling of the legs makes the finishing off a breeze, no more blood freezing whilst the ******* runs like lighting behind the piano....

---

I can only recommend.

Today is a good day and - be it because the different composition of the UK's Raid or because of not shaking or because UK spiders are less though than Italian ones - the rules of the games have changed.

----

...you biatch, I'm guessin deh aint links to Kate Humble in the nuddie, so I aint lookin missy! :rant:

On a different, less poisonous note: I am trying to buy osage oranges. I live near London but have no problems with buying online (from the UK).

I'd be interested in both the plant, if it can be adapted to the living room of an apartment ( I suppose they have a pleasant smell?) and in buying the fruits themselves.

Anyone has experiences to share?

Thanks

T

lesser of two evils, ie rather than look at them in the house, wonder where they are or worse still what they are doing at night when you're in bed!!!:gag:

I really wish I could deal with them, but already they've started coming in and like you say who knows where they go.

Only the other night after going to bed, I'd taken off my specs and put them on the bedside table, later I was fishing about for them and realised they'd fallen on the floor, when I got them on my face I was greeted by one of the beggars grinning at me, sure he'd kicked me glasses there deliberately, needless to say I made my excuses and left (quickly), if it wasn't for the bravery of my partner in disposing of his mirth riddled carcass I would have happily given him the deeds to my house and never visited again :hihi:

I really don't like them, just watched 2 huge ones run under the chair and behind the TV. Seems it''s that time of year again but I am sure they are getting bigger, must have had around 6 v large ones in over the last 2 weeks.

I wished I could deal with it but I actually feel sick when I see one.

There has been a HUGE one in the garage for years I think it's one of those bird eating ones. I just have to try and not look.

The conker idea doesn't work either.........I think it's the speed they move which I hate and the fact one might crawl on me whilst I sleep :o

Even worse, my hubby catches them and tries to show it to me, or pretend to throw it at me ( he once actually did this) I think its grounds for divorce....

Asked for conkers today at the supermarket: too soon for the moment but I'll keep an eye on their shelves.

Can please someone advise whether I need horse chestnuts or the common conkers are good enough and what your experiences are.

-----

Extremely impressive demontration of RAID's power also this afternoon.

Before going out this morning I had bombed the living room, coming back this afternoon I open the door-window to the balcony (a notorious hide for spider by me) and as I am there I spray the sill and the cornice of the door window.

A couple of minutes later a big black spot on the cornice clearly indicates a rather biggish black beast. I t looked as if he was caught in the middle between the window and the cornice, more probably it was trying to hide some way and was disorientated by the spray.

I arm myself with broom and raid and march to the combat. Interestingly, in my nervousness I forgot to shake the can, as a result by "firing" a jet of almost liquid material came out directly on the spider, I sprayed from perhaps 60cm/less than 3ft.

The spider *instantly* transformed into a black ball with the legs completely furled, I had never seen the like of the speed with which it happened. I have used the broom to atomise the *******.

----

I am generally horrified even at a dead spider, I use long brooms because I don't want to go near them where I can see them clearly, or in the gravest cases I take my spectacles off.

But this was different. This was instantaneous and through the lightining speed at which the spider has folded its legs it was not even revolting to finish it off with the broom.

----

I had to remember my experience with such sprays as a child or adolescent, with the spider either frantically running away (horrifying!) or after a prolongued "treatment" remaining there as paralysed for a while before speeding away like hell.

This was utterly different. This was like a laser beam. I suggest to everyone whose fight against spider has priority over environmental or health concerns (I am one of those) to keep a can of Raid extra for this use, to be employed without shaking the can first. Besides, the utter curling of the legs makes the finishing off a breeze, no more blood freezing whilst the ******* runs like lighting behind the piano....

---

I can only recommend.

Today is a good day and - be it because the different composition of the UK's Raid or because of not shaking or because UK spiders are less though than Italian ones - the rules of the games have changed.

----

Just ordinary conkers, not had spiders for months

Just ordinary conkers, not had spiders for months

If only this theory worked, I'd be happy!

PS Conkers aren't usually around till the autumn when they fall, not a good crop this year, the horse chestnut tree at work hardly has any on it at all this year.

Archived