Shocking story, but truly representative of our lives

You almost complete ignoramus.

I take it you've never had any experiance of people with autism or aspergers? If you had you might know theres a tiny minority of them who are so bright they understand that their autism/aspergers makes them so different to other people and they'll probably never change so it makes them angry, violent and depressed. This lad is one of this unhappy band. He's aware even at ten that what sets him apart from society is going to affect him all his life and that he'll always struggle to fulfill his most basic need - simple human interaction. The poor little guy is to be pitied not derided as some sort of problem child.

His parents are forced to share in this every day. They never signed on for this when they became parents but its what they're stuck with. The knowledge that the person they created wants to destroy himself. Try to imagine that for one second. Try to imagine that your child knows he is so different he wants to die and that he'll keep trying until he succeeds or decided he doesn't want to die but because of his illness he's not great at changing his mind and trying something different. Imagine that you have to succeed every single day in trying to keep him alive and wrestling with the knowledge that he only has to succeed one day to be successful and not be alive. Not a nice thought is it?

Then again what do you care? It doesn't affect you, its not in your world view and besides they're blaming it on an invented medical condition anyway aren't they? That little guy knows what he is and he hates it. Hates it so much he wants to die. But i'll bet that even though he can't interact with people on any reasonable level he's got more charm, more compassion, more humanity and more common decency than someone who would dismmiss him as "doing stupid things".

I don’t normally respond to insults but your condescending and arrogant post has really got my back up.

Opinion is divided as to whether Aspergers Syndrome exists, some say it does, some say it doesn’t, but each side is stating an opinion not a fact so to slag off someone as ignorant just because they disagree with you is not just wrong but disrespectful.

Not surprisingly most of the people who say Aspergers does exist have got something to gain from it - either the parents wanting to excuse their kid’s bad behaviour or the health professionals and consultants who make money out of (mis)diagnosing and subsequently treating both kids and adults with this “condition” (Look at the link on the OP’s signature. She must be making a fortune from Aspergers so it’s hardly surprising she reacts with such hostility when challenged.)

I’ve read up on the case of Elliott McGahey referred to in the OP and clearly this is nothing to do with Aspergers but simply bad parenting. What we have here is an attention-seeking child whose parents should have done something about his bad behaviour years ago to nip it in the bud, but by indulging their son and not condemning or punishing him, have allowed him to take it to extremes. A child of ten is far too young to make a conscious decision to commit suicide because he lacks the maturity to understand the consequences of his actions.

They could have taught him discipline and self-control but instead have chosen to give him a mental illness label and tell him that he’s not responsible for his own actions. If that was not enough they’ve also chosen to put him on anti-depressants, anti-psychotic drugs and sleeping tablets, which will only make him more isolated and less able to interact with others around him.

So no, I’m not the ignorant one on this thread. The ignorant ones are the people who insist they’re right and everybody else is wrong and bleat “this is what we’re up against” the minute anyone challenges their blinkered beliefs.

I don’t normally respond to insults but your condescending and arrogant post has really got my back up.

Opinion is divided as to whether Aspergers Syndrome exists, some say it does, some say it doesn’t, but each side is stating an opinion not a fact so to slag off someone as ignorant just because they disagree with you is not just wrong but disrespectful.

Not surprisingly most of the people who say Aspergers does exist have got something to gain from it - either the parents wanting to excuse their kid’s bad behaviour or the health professionals and consultants who make money out of (mis)diagnosing and subsequently treating both kids and adults with this “condition” (Look at the link on the OP’s signature. She must be making a fortune from Aspergers so it’s hardly surprising she reacts with such hostility when challenged.)

I’ve read up on the case of Elliott McGahey referred to in the OP and clearly this is nothing to do with Aspergers but simply bad parenting. What we have here is an attention-seeking child whose parents should have done something about his bad behaviour years ago to nip it in the bud, but by indulging their son and not condemning or punishing him, have allowed him to take it to extremes. A child of ten is far too young to make a conscious decision to commit suicide because he lacks the maturity to understand the consequences of his actions.

They could have taught him discipline and self-control but instead have chosen to give him a mental illness label and tell him that he’s not responsible for his own actions. If that was not enough they’ve also chosen to put him on anti-depressants, anti-psychotic drugs and sleeping tablets, which will only make him more isolated and less able to interact with others around him.

So no, I’m not the ignorant one on this thread. The ignorant ones are the people who insist they’re right and everybody else is wrong and bleat “this is what we’re up against” the minute anyone challenges their blinkered beliefs.

So, yet again, as espadrille said previously, you are persisting in trying to prove what an ignoramus you are, by dismissing these conditions, as "acts of will".

If a schizophrenic can hear voices, due to their condition, are they responsible for being Schizophrenic, because they can hear them? Do you think they CHOOSE to hear the voices?

Do you think someone with ADHD chooses to have the impulses and urges ? or perhaps those with Tourettes just choose to shout out the random comments/ have tics and spasms just for *cough* and giggles?

God, you're such a plonker!

Who says it doesn't exist? Give evidence.

So its ok for you to slag off parents doing their best and disabled people but the moment you get challenged you start to cry and claim its wrong and disrespectful.

Fair enough, give us the benefit of your wisdom. How much experience do you have of people who "claim" to have autism or aspergers? (I realise the answer is none because its not real. I wonder what else you deny the existence of?)

And I don't mean you've read something or you've watched Rain Man I mean actual solid real life experience.

My nephew and my sister are Autistic. They also have learning difficulties. But, note.. I describe them as "autistic"... not that "they Suffer from Autism"

I would have thought that the other way round would be more appropriate.

Saying someone suffers from autism is a normal descriptor. Calling someone autistic sort of implies that the illness is all there is to them, like it is what defines them.

I would have thought that the other way round would be more appropriate.

Saying someone suffers from autism is a normal descriptor. Calling someone autistic sort of implies that the illness is all there is to them, like it is what defines them.

horses for courses really. I personally don't see it makes much of a difference so long as the information gets across

Did anyone see the programme?

At least it seems that the Mum is now getting some sort of support. She will need it as it is something that she will have to accept will demand much of her attention for the rest of her boys life. Children with a neurological difference become adults with a neurological difference , and when he becomes and adult I am sorry to say the support is simply not there.

Hopefully by the time he is an adult it will be , for all of our sakes...

Archived