Brakes failed on 1 year old Ford Ka

i don't know that road, but is it quite steep? If you dragged the brakes all the way down instead of using the gears to control the speed then it's possible you cooked them/boiled the fluid hence the pedal going to the floor.

Is the fact that it was serviced a week ago relevant, where the brakes touched at this service (i'd have thought unlikely for a 1 year service)

edit;

The brakes did smell a bit at times leading up to this happening, I heard a pop and brake fluid spilled.

?????????? Then you why drive it if there's brake fluid leaking from it ???????

Where did you have it serviced? A chap I used to work with had his brakes fail after MOT/service at a certain garage, it was because they hadn't put things back together properly and a bit fell off...

I'm a girl, so I don't do car details I'm afraid!!!

had a ford ka for 3 years now and never had a problem ever. fully serviced and has sailed through all its services and mot's without any faults or major work needing to be done. i'd chase the garage that did the service personally.

i researched a lot about cars before i bought mine and never saw the brakes as being a problem on a ka, unless it becomes a problem on newer built ones. is your the new shape ka?

I've had problems with my Ford Ka's brakes ever since I got it. Everytime it's serviced the mechanic always comments on them, there is nothing wrong with them they always pass it's just you really have to press them down to get them to work. The mechanic said that Fords have particularly bad brakes. None of my family will drive it as they say the brakes are shocking. I'm used to them though!

May be caused by a mechanical problem in the front brake cross shaft and spring. It may lead to other problems such as, brakes operating without braking, front brakes heating up or smelling after only a short time, lack of acceleration or the need to make hard use of the accelerator.

None of those symptoms occured though.

It sounds like a loss of break pressure. Either due to low fluid, moisture in the fluid or boiling the fluid.

If the service was done correctly then a break fluid check should have been done (but not a change, it's normally two years for a change).

As it came on suddenly whilst driving and was complete it's not likely to be a leak, it could have been a failed pipe or a disconnected pipe (that happened whilst driving)...

I'm not a mechanic btw, I just know how the break system works from a theoretical point of view.

i don't know that road, but is it quite steep? If you dragged the brakes all the way down instead of using the gears to control the speed then it's possible you cooked them/boiled the fluid hence the pedal going to the floor.

Is the fact that it was serviced a week ago relevant, where the brakes touched at this service (i'd have thought unlikely for a 1 year service)

edit;

?????????? Then you why drive it if there's brake fluid leaking from it ???????

This happened on the same journey ????????????????????????????? as in the brakes started smelling and then the pop and then what I believe to be the brake fluid spilled. And as for cooking the brakes :roll: oh please I do know how to drive using my gears!

And yes too right the fact that it had only just been serviced is important :roll:

None of those symptoms occured though.

It sounds like a loss of break pressure. Either due to low fluid, moisture in the fluid or boiling the fluid.

If the service was done correctly then a break fluid check should have been done (but not a change, it's normally two years for a change).

As it came on suddenly whilst driving and was complete it's not likely to be a leak, it could have been a failed pipe or a disconnected pipe (that happened whilst driving)...

I'm not a mechanic btw, I just know how the break system works from a theoretical point of view.

Thank you .

This happened on the same journey ????????????????????????????? as in the brakes started smelling and then the pop and then what I believe to be the brake fluid spilled. And as for cooking the brakes :roll: oh please I do know how to drive using my gears!

And yes too right the fact that it had only just been serviced is important :roll:

sorry, it was unclear if it was on the same journey or not.

The fact that it just had a service means jack if they didn't touch any part of the braking system though?

Where did you have it serviced? A chap I used to work with had his brakes fail after MOT/service at a certain garage, it was because they hadn't put things back together properly and a bit fell off...

I'm a girl, so I don't do car details I'm afraid!!!

Where did he have his service done? PM if you would prefer not to put it on open forum.

Archived