After the cuts. Benefits of Austerity living?

I was just wondering if amidst all the economic gloom if there might be any positive outcomes (apart from defecit being paid off) for ordinary people and our way of life?

I, for one, will be glad to see the back of consumerism. No more shopping as a leisure pursuit. And an end to the cult of Designer goods.

Less spoilt kids? Parents back in control saying 'No.' Kids might start to appreciate the value of money and have to work for it.

More self reliance? After the shock of services being withdrawn, will people start pulling together to help each other more? Start looking out for elderly neighbours for example.

More co-operative living.

I'm struggling now. Anybody got any more ideas?

I would have thought that is pretty much what Conservatives are aiming for (since it is what Conservatism stands for, ideologically at least): forcing a non-trivial amount of people to (re-)develop personal awareness and responsibility for their lot, rather than expect State stipends/sponsorship and attendant nannyism... :huh:

It should go hand in hand with a curbing of the relentless consumerist drive by mass-media, though...preferably of and in McCarthy-esque proportions :D Less celebs, lifestyle and other vacuous content, more self- and mind-developing materials and interests. See not (or, at least, less of), want not ;)

Note that's not advocating Luddism or Neo-Luddism.

i think the same as in the recession. the people that can afford to spend will keep on spending, and the people that cant afford to spend will suffer even more.

also seen on the red button news pages that some bank person wants BofE base rate to be risen to 0.75% with all the extra money we have to pay out now as a result of the budget and the possibility of mortgages going up if interest rates rise, the less well off may well be buggered?

although im a saver and would personally welcome an interest rate rise.....

it actually works out more expensive to grow your own than it does to buy them

Is that right? I'd never have thought. I suppose whilst they were growing but surely when your sprouting out several things of runner beans each year its worth the money? I remember my dad had a veggie patch when I was younger and it had everything - rhubarb, potatos, beans, onions, blackberries redcurrents loganberries..was lovely!

Is that right? I'd never have thought. I suppose whilst they were growing but surely when your sprouting out several things of runner beans each year its worth the money? I remember my dad had a veggie patch when I was younger and it had everything - rhubarb, potatos, beans, onions, blackberries redcurrents loganberries..was lovely!

Cant see how it works out more expensive. I have loads of tomato plants in my garden that i grew from seed. Cost hardly anything apart from time, effort, a bit of water and a bit of compost!

i think the same as in the recession. the people that can afford to spend will keep on spending, and the people that cant afford to spend will suffer even more.

also seen on the red button news pages that some bank person wants BofE base rate to be risen to 0.75% with all the extra money we have to pay out now as a result of the budget and the possibility of mortgages going up if interest rates rise, the less well off may well be buggered?

although im a saver and would personally welcome an interest rate rise.....

Unfortunately it may be more like: "...the people that can afford to spend will keep on spending, and the people that cant afford to spend will suffer borrow even more."

Didn't Brown advocate that the people should borrow more and spend themselves out of a recession?

Archived