Monovision lenses?

Hi,

I posted earlier about the best opticians in Sheffield and have now taken the plunge for an eyetest and a contact lens trial. I am trying monovision lenses (I'm longsighted) but I'm not convinced by them. With the lenses in my distance vision is poor (is pretty good without them) and for close-ups I can now read price-tags (maybe a disadvantage!). However, the reading is not as good as with my old reading glasses.

I can't see the point of compromising my distance for a slight improvement in close-ups. I've been told to stick out a couple of weeks so that my brain can adjust. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Cheers ..

your brain does need to adjust to any changes made to your vision. i know when i had surgery on my eyes that it took at least 3 weeks for 'straight ahead' to stop looking like a 45 degree angle going up into the sky! as my brain needed to learn to adjust the image back to normal, so i was told.

apparently if they take your eyes out and put them back in upside down, after two weeks your brain will have adjusted the image to be the right way up again......

not much help to you, but the opticians know what they are talking about and it does make sense

I just got contact lenses, I am short sighted, so I'm the opposite of you. I have to wear glasses/lenses for driving, watching TV etc. I also have astigmatism, which makes things blurry at all distances. This computer screen is not too clear without my lenses or glasses. Close up things are fine with my lenses in, I just have to refocus slightly sometimes. I could see fine straight away with my new lenses, its just weird taking them out, everyhthing seems really blurry!

My sister also got contacts (shes shortsighted too) and she said they make close-up stuff blurry and even made her feel nauseous.

• 9 months later...

Hi I've been wearing monovision contacts for years and got on ok wth them. Then I left them out for a while as I was ill. I put them in for twoo weeks and left them out again and now I've got double vision while my eyes readjust. Anyone else had this. I will be booking an appointment tomorrow for a new prescription.It happened once before but I didn't know why.

Archived