Student Loan for Uni if you have savings?

I know the loans system has changed since I had the joys of dealing with it (was at uni 2003-2006) but it is the ammount that your parents earn that impacts on what level of loan you are given, not your own savings. If you apply for the basic ammount (£3000 in my day) then you don't have to provide proof of income. If, however, you apply for the means tested (which means you can get more per year) then you could get less if your parents earn enough to be considered able to keep you.

I know the loans system has changed since I had the joys of dealing with it (was at uni 2003-2006) but it is the ammount that your parents earn that impacts on what level of loan you are given, not your own savings. If you apply for the basic ammount (£3000 in my day) then you don't have to provide proof of income. If, however, you apply for the means tested (which means you can get more per year) then you could get less if your parents earn enough to be considered able to keep you.

It depends, not if you're considered 'financially independent' from your parents, i.e. you no longer live with them (I can't remember the qualifying period of time).

Archived