Should fox hunting be banned....

Fox Hunting  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Fox Hunting

• It should be banned
    • It should NOT be banned
    • Couldn't care less.

Hiya Deavon - yes - ban fox hunting. What has that got to do with killing for food? Do you eat the foxes that are killed? Is this some new delicacy I have not heard of?

Fox hunting as it is carried out today is a cruel sport sometimes at the very least. Much more humane to shoot the animals than let a bunch of blood thirsty morons chase them until they are too weak to run and then let them be ripped to shreds by a pack of dogs.

Just my opinion.

Dragon

Originally posted by serapis

...100% of foxes caught by a hunt will die within seconds, no marksman can say the same thing for shooting. A fox that has been shot can live for hours and die in sever prolonged pain!

Originally posted by willman

...do non shooters etc realise the brutality of shooting running animals. the shooters would need to be SAS standard to hit foxes bolting & kill it dead first shot. the damage & suffering inflicted is worse IMO than hounds.

I'd dispute the above (as someone who's worked in "control" using shotguns), going for head shots can be achieved with foxes and rabbits on a consistent basis, and with the correct "shot" will kill (but why would you wait for the animal to bolt willman? Fire when it's stationary, much better)...

...and what about the foxes that "the hunt" don't "catch" even though they got injured at some point? This does happen, it's not just tree-hugger propaganda.

Originally posted by Deavon

Hunting has been banned by people who have never had to kill, gut and prepare their own meat...

I have killed (gutted and prepared) my own meat on a regular basis (through work, not sport, and never fox) and I wholly disagree with "the hunt", and thank the politicians for banning it on my (and others) behalf.

:)

PS: Since when has "the hunt" been about fox control? I know plenty of tenant farmers who weren't allowed to destroy foxes (or employ others to do it on their behalf), even though they wanted to because they were "reserved for the hunt". It's just like all the "game" birds that are bred for "sport shooting", a joke really (just wish I thought it was funny).

Originally posted by Dragon

... Much more humane to shoot the animals than let a bunch of blood thirsty morons chase them until they are too weak to run and then let them be ripped to shreds by a pack of dogs.

Just my opinion.

I think you meant 'Just my ill informed opinion'. :D

Originally posted by Dragon

Hiya Deavon - yes - ban fox hunting. What has that got to do with killing for food? Do you eat the foxes that are killed? Is this some new delicacy I have not heard of?

The reason I mention killing for food is because the control of foxes is for the benefit of the livestock farmer. Particularly for the farmer that keeps fowl.

The majority of people do not understand just how devastating a fox presence can be to a farmer's flock. Foxes kill all the animals they can when they attack in a frenzy of bloodlust.

But people do not know nor understand any of these issues.

All IMO of course:)

Originally posted by serapis

I think you meant 'Just my ill informed opinion'. :D

The reason I mention killing for food is because the control of foxes is for the benefit of the livestock farmer. Particularly for the farmer that keeps fowl...

Again, I'd dispute both these statements (see my reasons above)...

...why would a farmer want to wait 3 months (or so) 'til the next "hunt", better to just shoot the offending fox as soon as it's an issue.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

...why would a farmer want to wait 3 months (or so) 'til the next "hunt", better to just shoot the offending fox as soon as it's an issue.

I agree with you there. Shooting the Fox is a great control method. Also incredibley difficult to do.

The most effective method, snares, has also been banned.

Some thread!!!

All very emotive but personally I would tend to agree with Oscar Wilde. He described fox hunting as:

"The unspeakable after the uneatable".

Think that tends to some up the so called sport.

My apologies for disturbing the flow.

I agree with you there. Shooting the Fox is a great control method. Also incredibley difficult to do...

Again, I'd dispute just how "difficult" you allege it to be...

...and in my experience, it is the preferred method of control amongst the (non-"hunt" involved) farming/land management community.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Again, I'd dispute just how "difficult" you allege it to be...

...and in my experience, it is the preferred method of control amongst the (non-"hunt" involved) farming/land management community.

They are difficult targets to locate; (The term "Sly as a Fox" comes to mind). The best way to find them is to flush them out using dogs. However that is now banned.

If they were easily found and shot, then we wouldn't have a fox problem.

The reason I mention killing for food is because the control of foxes is for the benefit of the livestock farmer. Particularly for the farmer that keeps fowl.

The majority of people do not understand just how devastating a fox presence can be to a farmer's flock. Foxes kill all the animals they can when they attack in a frenzy of bloodlust.

But people do not know nor understand any of these issues.

All IMO of course:)

But that would only affect people who kept free range chickens wouldn't it? How many chickens are free range these days? The only way you can be sure your eggs are free range is by having your own chickens. Not many people think where their meat has come from, that is true:clap:

Archived