Fox Hunting  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Fox Hunting

• It should be banned
    • It should NOT be banned
    • Couldn't care less.

Originally posted by Cyclone

whales are endangered.

Not all species. Would it be okay to hunt whales if they were not endangered?

Halal does require the stunning of the animal, but IMO should still be banned.

I think you are mistaken. The halal/kosher method prohibits stunning.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/06/13/britain.meat

Fishing isn't quite the same as hunting the fox, I was ambivalent on the fox hunting ban, I'd be strongly opposed to an angling ban (despite not having fished in about 20 years, since I was a kid).

Why?

I am playing devils advocate here, my point being if foxes then why not fish? Have a look though some of the anti-angling sites for 'reasons' why angling should be banned (fish can feel, learn etc). I would also strongly oppose any moves to ban angling but now fox hunting has been banned, what grounds do I have to resist it? If fox hunting was banned because it was allegedly cruel, barbaric and caused unnecessary suffering than surely, some would and do argue, fishing is in the same league. The government, through imposing this ban, has thus brought us to the top of a slippery slope that will see future generations in court for using pellets to massacre slugs!

yes, if they weren't endangered it would be acceptable.

I was under the impression that the muslim council of GB had issued a directive (or whatever they call them) that stunning was not inconsistent with the directions of how to prepare halal. And halal preparation is not exempt from animal welfare laws, which require that the animal be stunned.

could have imagined it all though.

because the fish is not chased, nor torn apart.

the 'hunt' for the fish is quick, the reeling in and netting basically.

Then the fish is either released with minimal damage, or it is killed quickly.

Basically there is no wanton cruelly, which you could argue did exist in hunting with dogs.

Fox hunting is hardly the first animal blood sport to be banned, so if there is a slippery slope (which i'm not sure there is) then we were on it a long time ago, and rightly so in some instances.

Archived