Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

One inconsiderate bar steward rides up the parkway towards Norton between 4:30 am and 5:30 am. I am usually awake at these times and the biker is obviously speeding, he is on a very powerful bike making a very powerful sound I know he is speeding due to me actually seeing him fly past as a blur. His bike has white neon lighting on the side near the engine. I wouldn't mind but they're 2 primary schools near by with lots of kids living around the area,one of which are mine that had actually been woken by this biker.

Edited by Tek-no-logic

My Repsol Fireblade has a Leo Vince exhaust that sounds fantastic at 6,000revs. It means I have to ride round in Sheffield in 1st gear.

Most cars seem to hear me coming.

If you`re implying you think your bike sounds fantastic because it`s so loud that`s incredibly selfish. Do you ever think about other people ? You want to take a long look at yourself.

And you`re wrong, most cars cannot hear you coming, for these reasons. Though I`m really wasting my time, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

I absolutely guarantee you one thing, 99% of people do not think your bike "sounds fantastic", at best they dislike it, many detest it, particularly, but not exclusively, if it wakes them up.

Yeah you don't hear a motorbike until it's next to you, so the "loud pipes save lives" thing is very overstated.

Most car drivers do need some sort of noise to let them know there is a bike nearby, except for Audi drivers who are the most skillful and observant drivers on the road. ;)

QUOTE=Tek-no-logic;11599340]One inconsiderate bar steward rides up the parkway towards Norton between 4:30 am and 5:30 am. I am usually awake at these times and the biker is obviously speeding, he is on a very powerful bike making a very powerful sound I know he is speeding due to me actually seeing him fly past as a blur. His bike has white neon lighting on the side near the engine. I've been trying to catch the licence plate to report him as he is going to kill himself one day (hopefully) and I'd like to see him get in trouble for speeding most of his inconsiderate life.

Wishing someone dead because they make a bit of noise :roll:

QUOTE=Tek-no-logic;11599340]

Wishing someone dead because they make a bit of noise :roll:

I know a bit much that wasn't it. I got a bit excited as typing it. I do apologise and will edit my original post. I'm sure he's a nice bloke. And to be honest I love bikes like that. Just not at those times when he could rumble to his destination at a legal speed instead of screaming down the empty parkway at full revs. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy with a loving family but one day all it would take is for a car to speed round a corner and he'll be toast.

An incident occurred today which proves this, yet again. I was waiting to pull out from the parking bay opposite my shop, it was raining (rain droplets all over my side window and door mirror) and starting to go dark. I had my attention on a car coming up from Hillsborough crossroads but thought I`d have plenty of time to pull out, just as I was about to let the clutch out I just noticed a motorbike (which was also travelling a bit too fast....) and slammed the anchors on.

Two points arise :

1 - He had a very loud exhaust, but I didn`t hear it till he was level with me (and going away), and I didn`t even have my stereo on, i.e. proving (yet again) that as a warning of a bike`s approach a loud exhaust is really not that effective.

2 - The biker didn`t even have his headlight on !

In the days after putting this post on, three incidents have occurred to add yet more proof. In all three, motorcyclists were approaching on the other side of the road, and for all I can remember thinking, that`s the kind of motorcyclist I like, they`ve got quiet exhausts ! But for all of those three, once they came level (and past) with my car, their exhausts proved they were actually selfish gits, with LOUD exhausts. As a warning (of approach) device, loud exhausts are useless.

In the days after putting this post on, three incidents have occurred to add yet more proof. In all three, motorcyclists were approaching on the other side of the road, and for all I can remember thinking, that`s the kind of motorcyclist I like, they`ve got quiet exhausts ! But for all of those three, once they came level (and past) with my car, their exhausts proved they were actually selfish gits, with LOUD exhausts. As a warning (of approach) device, loud exhausts are useless.

There are people who can get an epileptic seizure from sudden loud unexpected noises.