Ultra loud motorbike commuting across Hillsborough at 5.45 in the morning.

So a bike is loud and you assume it's the same one from the thread of umpteen years ago???

I live on the route that bike used to take....and heard it every single morning at exactly the same time....as he travelled down Middlewood Road. It was regular as clockwork.

Now...the owner has either....changed bike, moved home or changed time of leaving home....as I haven't heard him for at least a couple of years now.

I used to be a biker so the actual noise didn't bother me...I was just more aware of it because I owned bikes.

There is currently another extremely loud exhaust bike coming off Winn Estate.....but that is at no fixed time.....maybe it's that you heard???

So a bike is loud and you assume it's the same one from the thread of umpteen years ago???

I live on the route that bike used to take....and heard it every single morning at exactly the same time....as he travelled down Middlewood Road. It was regular as clockwork.

Now...the owner has either....changed bike, moved home or changed time of leaving home....as I haven't heard him for at least a couple of years now.

I used to be a biker so the actual noise didn't bother me...I was just more aware of it because I owned bikes.

There is currently another extremely loud exhaust bike coming off Winn Estate.....but that is at no fixed time.....maybe it's that you heard???

I`m just assuming it is because it`s at exactly the same time.

As for the noise I used to be a biker but that doesn`t, in any way, mean I like loud bikes, I hate them. This is a bike (it wasn`t noisy either) and it got more than it`s fair share of attention out at Matlock Bath on a Sunday......

There`s no excuse for having a loud exhaust other than selfishness or some misguided sense it`d make them less likely to have an accident, it won`t, not with a car anyway. They`ve usually got their widows up and their stereos on !

I`m just assuming it is because it`s at exactly the same time.

As for the noise I used to be a biker but that doesn`t, in any way, mean I like loud bikes, I hate them. This is a bike (it wasn`t noisy either) and it got more than it`s fair share of attention out at Matlock Bath on a Sunday......

There`s no excuse for having a loud exhaust other than selfishness or some misguided sense it`d make them less likely to have an accident, it won`t, not with a car anyway. They`ve usually got their widows up and their stereos on !

Now THAT is a lovely bike....I had a GS550 (back end modified to look like Z650)....nothing like a good in-line four for sound. I used to take mine to Matlock Bath too....and the other bikes I had.....happy days....very happy days :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...
No motorcyclists lives are saved by noisy exhausts. It`s theoretically possible that some pedestrians lives may be saved, but I wouldn`t have thought that many pedestrians are killed by motor bikes anyway.

The things that are likely to cause an accident for a biker (and therefore risk killing him) are :

1 Rider error, which, by definition, almost always involves excessive speed. This is my own experience (as an ex biker and a car driver) and also that of North Yorkshire Police.

2 Car/Van/Truck drivers (who can`t hear the exhaust that much anyway because they`ve usually got their windows wound up and the stereo on, particularly if there are annoyingly loud motorbikes around.....).

The people who can hear ignorants on their illegally loud motorbikes, are innocent pedestrians, and people in their houses (particularly those without double glazing, or in the summer), who are simply trying to get some peace and quiet.

And anyway, if you`re correct (which you aren`t but let`s stick with it for the sake of the argument) that motorbikes can only be made acceptably safe by being ear splittingly loud, then the logical conclusion of that argument is that they should be banned altogether, so I wouldn`t push that one if I were you........

I was having a chat about loud exhausts on bikes with a mate of mine the other day, incidentally, but of relevance, just like me he`s had motorbikes in the past. He was just as unconvinced about this "loud pipes save lives" thing as I am but he also pointed out that if it ever had had a grain of truth in it then is less likely to now because most cars have got air conditioning. So they`ve got their windows wound up when it`s cold (because the heater is on) and now they`ve also got their windows wound up when it`s warm because they`ve got their air con on !

Another thing I noticed earlier this week (as I was walking in the blissfully peaceful quiet countryside which got ruined when an ignorant shattered the peace on his loud bike.....) that a bike is far louder going away from you than it is when it`s coming towards you. I`m not sure why, possibly the exhaust noise is all being ejected out of the back, but, if you think about it, that makes "loud pipes save lives" even less likely to be true, because any danger to a motorcyclist is going to come from in front of him......

Finally, in my experience, the bikers with the loudest exhausts ride the most aggressively. Thus, it could be argued, loud pipes seem to encourage unsafe riding, so therefore must actually increase the risk of an accident.

Some more proof that bikes are much louder going away than approaching.

Edited by Justin Smith

I`d be surprised, nay shocked, if a rider was failed for not filtering through moving traffic.

I failed my first bike test for not making due progress (extremely embarrassing ).

I had my bike nicked just before the test so borrowed a mates, he had "ported it " himself, it used 10 times more petrol and i was running it flat out but still got failure to make due progress on the test that's how crap it was.

Also as i was approaching the tester for the emergency stop some one stepped out in front of me (i had just got the piece of crap up to 30) making me do a real emergancy stop and struggle to get back up to speed where the tester was.

I try not to make a third lane as much as its a bit uncurtious as dangerous ( on the test the p.c. doing it told us he had gone to an accident where a motorcyclist was killed by some one opening their door on purpose as the rider was coming past).

The trouble i have is on penistone road the lights are synchronized so as you set off from one set the next set 15 foot further on change to green. As there is a queue of stationary traffic that all have to set of you get a giant newtons cradle concertina type thing which makes you have to stop for a few seconds then set off again. I find it very difficult riding up to the stationary traffic and seeing that green light, the urge to go between the stationary cars and just keep moving often gets the better of me i am afraid - sorry.

I hate having to use the brakes whatever i drive /ride its got to be the worst waste of fuel there can be. Less traffic lights would be better.

I failed my first bike test for not making due progress (extremely embarrassing ).

I had my bike nicked just before the test so borrowed a mates, he had "ported it " himself, it used 10 times more petrol and i was running it flat out but still got failure to make due progress on the test that's how crap it was.

Also as i was approaching the tester for the emergency stop some one stepped out in front of me (i had just got the piece of crap up to 30) making me do a real emergancy stop and struggle to get back up to speed where the tester was.

I try not to make a third lane as much as its a bit uncurtious as dangerous ( on the test the p.c. doing it told us he had gone to an accident where a motorcyclist was killed by some one opening their door on purpose as the rider was coming past).

The trouble i have is on penistone road the lights are synchronized so as you set off from one set the next set 15 foot further on change to green. As there is a queue of stationary traffic that all have to set of you get a giant newtons cradle concertina type thing which makes you have to stop for a few seconds then set off again. I find it very difficult riding up to the stationary traffic and seeing that green light, the urge to go between the stationary cars and just keep moving often gets the better of me i am afraid - sorry.

I hate having to use the brakes whatever i drive /ride its got to be the worst waste of fuel there can be. Less traffic lights would be better.

I cannot understand why any motorist would be concerned by a motorcyclist filtering through in heavy traffic. Once they are ahead they are usually on their way and have no impact whatsoever on the car driver's journey. This is much more preferable than having them behind and you having to keep an eye on them for when they decide to overtake.

I cannot understand why any motorist would be concerned by a motorcyclist filtering through in heavy traffic. Once they are ahead they are usually on their way and have no impact whatsoever on the car driver's journey. This is much more preferable than having them behind and you having to keep an eye on them for when they decide to overtake.

I`m not concerned for myself, I`m concerned for the motorcyclist, if he hits me it`ll be inconvenient for me, but it could be fatal for him. Filtering through stationary traffic is quite safe provided it`s done at fairly slow speed (just in case one of those cars suddenly opens its door to let someone out), but through moving traffic isn`t. I had bikes for years and I don`t care what anyone says, it isn`t safe. To put it simply another vehicle can change lanes quickly if it`s already moving, and worse, if you`re the biker who is knocked off there`s other moving traffic that can then run into you, or over you if it`s an artic, anyone up for wheelchair basket ball..... Add into the mix that fact that, quite reasonably, car drivers aren`t going to expect another vehicle to be in a gap which technically isn`t even there. All those signs that have appeared on Penistone Rd saying "Think bike" I assume they are directed at car drivers pulling out on the biker from a side road (the classic "I didn`t see you") not for car drivers to be required to constantly be thinking is there a motorbike filtering through all this moving traffic ? I don`t actually think it`s reasonable for them to be expected to do that because the biker shouldn`t be filtering through moving traffic in the first place.

---------- Post added 19-06-2015 at 17:09 ----------

Very wise if you want to keep the standard complement of limbs.....

Edited by Justin Smith

I see a guy and sometimes his mate every morning on west street and then heading down to Division Street on quads. They are stupidly loud. Really annoys me. There must be a law against it. :rant:

There IS a law against it; the Road Traffic Act.

Some very old vintage vehicles such as early 1900's Panhards, Daimlers, Citroens, Benz and other early racing/touring cars, also very old pre WW1 motorcycles have VERY loud engines, never had silencers originally and cannot be fitted with modern silencers, so there is some kind of exCeption for them. This time of year in mid-Summer there are a lot of vintage rallies, so you may hear a lot of loud engines around in the countryside; at least Sheffield is nowhere near the London-Brighton run lol:D

Hehe. I have a very loud exhaust, one headlight and two running lights at the front.

Drivers don't seem to not see me when I am filtering and my bike always passes it's mot with the loud pipes.:)

Btw. You would have to be a right clown to filter past any hgv never mind an arctic.

Cant wait to get my chevy V8 back on the road on open pipes after reading this thread. I remember my old mot tester say "If it doesnt make my ears bleed its a pass". Most people with loud zorsts have them on for performance except for maybe a few chavs