Should pensioner's 'perks' be abolished ?

Why not pay the allowances/ give the bus passes only to those who need them?

I wonder how many bus pass holders never (or very rarely) use their passes?

Or give passes to pensioners that still travel to work, not to those that just want to get out of the house and walk around town with an empty shopping basket :roll:

Pensioners get the best of both worlds - they can afford to run their own car yet also get free bus travel. I would make them choose either one or the other.

Firstly, I fully expected the bus pass scheme to be withdrawn actually. I have used mine maybe six times this year. That's not to say that don't appreciate having it.

By the same token, I have not been out in the car more than three times either. Not just as a driver, cos I don't drive, but even as a passenger. I have to be dragged kicking and screamin to do so. If I can't get what I want locally, I do without mainly. Too much attitude on the road these days for my liking.

Like child benefit, free bus travel and winter fuel allowance should be means tested. We can't afford to be giving free perks to pensioners with thousands in their bank accounts.

That means there's even less incentive to save for your retirement...

Wow I can't believe they are thinking of this! I think it's horrible that people work all their life, pay taxes and contribute to this country and they can't even have their old age without people hounding them for money! Yes, I guess if they have LOADS of money, it doesn't seem right they get a winter fuel allowance but the small amount they get on winter fuel allowance, bus pass makes a big difference to some of the elderly. I think it's ridiculous my mum has to pay tax on her pension and she doesn't get that much! And she still has to pay £1200 per year council tax! £300 winter fuel allowance and a free bus pass really aren't that much!

I think it's ridiculous my mum has to pay tax on her pension and she doesn't get that much! And she still has to pay £1200 per year council tax!

If she has to pay council tax at all, then your claim that she doesn't get much pension is false. She's on at least £130 a week.

Archived