Should pensioner's 'perks' be abolished ?

In short, yes.

As harsh as it sounds, we have a population problem. If you can work, work. If you can't, and you are of no use to society, you should go.

I will volunteer for assisted suicide when I reach invalidity, if it is legal by then.

That's true poppins but if you had an elderly mother wouldn't you be happier to know she was getting regular money in the bank each month rather than waiting for people "to do good" and help her out just in case at some point someone didn't "do good" and she didn't have enough money to have the heating on that day!

Why do some people not get pensions ? I think the elderly in England get the best care compared to other countries. maybe my Mother happend to be one of the lucky ones, her last good years were spent in a lovely senior housing in Stannington...then it was called Manor House, she had 3 lovely rooms, a hallway and storage area, wash & dryer room downstairs, just a great place for the elderly, I'm sure Sheffield has more places like that.

That's true poppins but if you had an elderly mother wouldn't you be happier to know she was getting regular money in the bank each month rather than waiting for people "to do good" and help her out just in case at some point someone didn't "do good" and she didn't have enough money to have the heating on that day!

Exactly the mindset that Thatcher railed against in the early '80s; people believing that it wasn't up to the people themselves to look after others because "society" should do it.

There's no such thing as "society," only the people who live in it! How can it not be their responsibility?

Boys, girls, it's ALL going to have to go means tested in the next few years.

There are too many of us. We live too long. We demand more health care than can be afforded.

The welfare state HAS to become a safety net of last resort, not a right to be expected.

It would not be means testing if that were to happen.

But it could be taken into consideration with obvious allowances given for those who had an inability to work and contribute.

It must be remembered though by those calling for means testing on pensioners allowances that those who have paid into the system are subsidising those who have not.

But it could be taken into consideration with obvious allowances given for those who had an inability to work and contribute.

It must be remembered though by those calling for means testing on pensioners allowances that those who have paid into the system are subsidising those who have not.

True, and in the long term I think that each person holding their own pension pot is an inevitable outcome. The difficulty is making the transition from the current position - today's workers paying today's pensions - to the workable one, where today's workers are paying for their own future pensions.

True, and in the long term I think that each person holding their own pension pot is an inevitable outcome. The difficulty is making the transition from the current position - today's workers paying today's pensions - to the workable one, where today's workers are paying for their own future pensions.

I do not think this affects the subject of bus passes etc. though.

Archived