Clinical Hypnosis

Hi, I am considering booking a session at Sheffield Clinical Hypnosis, has anyone out there tried hypnosis? Not the cluck like a chicken type, the stop smoking/ gain confidence/ lose weight type? Is it any good or should I save my pennies?:help:

Hi, not tried hypnosis but i'm a clinical psychologist (ie work in nhs with psychological/behavioural problems) and i was really impressed with a hypnotherapy cd i used to prepare for childbirth. I would expect that if hypnotherapy is done right it should work. However you could just ask them what data they gather on whether their sessions work. Any practise worth going to will evaluate what they are doing and should be able to give you a summary. Also check the qualifications e.g are they registered or approved by a national organisation for hypnotherapy. Hope that helps and good luck, cx

Hi, I am considering booking a session at Sheffield Clinical Hypnosis, has anyone out there tried hypnosis? Not the cluck like a chicken type, the stop smoking/ gain confidence/ lose weight type? Is it any good or should I save my pennies?:help:

It depends what you are going for. Ive been hypnotised and found it very relaxing.

First point:

All hypnosis is self-hypnosis. The person assisting you is an hypnotic inductor - you do the actual work (though he or she will still want to be paid - by somebody.;)

Second point:

You may wish to consider going to somebody who is both qualified and experienced (I haven't a clue what the qualifications are in the UK, but medically qualified - particularly if the practitioner is a psychiatrist or a psychologist seems like a good idea.) There may be incidents in your past which should not be revisited. - Ever.

Does it work? - If you want it to. If you believe hypnotism will be of no use to you, then you're right. Conversely, however, if you approach it with an open mind (and better still, if you believe it's going to work) it probably will.

A caveat: Let's say you tell people you wished you didn't smoke and you go to an hypnotist and ask for help to quit smoking. Your inductor will believe you (after all, you're the one who went there asking for help)

BUT if - deep down - you don't actually want to stop smoking you may have a problem.

There's more than a minor difference between resenting spending money on cigarettes, being seriously concerned about the health hazards associated with smoking, wishing you didn't smell like an ashtray and wanting to give up smoking. - The first 3 are laudable, but they're not the same as really wanting to quit. If you go to a hypnotist and tell him/her you want to quite smoking when in reality you don't want to quit at all - you merely want to remove one or more of the first 3 problems I suggested - then hypnosis may not work.

It's very difficult to fool your inner self.

Hypnosis has worked (sometimes dramatically) well for me. I've been tolf that the reason that it worked was that I believed it would work. I certainly don't think it's a waste of money.

He was my doctor (rather like a GP, but hospital-based.) He'd developed an interest in hypnotherapy and it was a sideline for him. When he moved, he transferred me to another doctor (the head of the psychiatric department) who had extensive experience of using hypnotherapy.

• 3 months later...

This is possibly too late for you Loubbe but maybe other people thinking of getting hypnotherapy might find it useful...

I have written a few tips on the kinds of things to look out for in a good hypnotherapist and put it in a PDF called "10 things you MUST know before getting hypnotherapy". This is designed to help you ask the right kinds of questions of whoever you are considering working with.

http://sheffield-hypnosis.co.uk/free-download/

I hope that helps anyone considering getting hypnotherapy. Getting hypnotherapy can be a nerve-racking step for some people but this is usually based on misunderstandings of what hypnotherapy is (and is not). If you spend some time researching hypnotherapy and ensure that you are working with a therapist who is registered with at least one professional body and has a qualification level of at least HPD (Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma) then you are already looking at the top end of what the market offers. In my humble opinion, any therapist lacking these basic standards probably isn't worth bothering with.

Archived