Is Jesus Lucifer ?

Lucifer is a Latin word (from the words lucem ferre), literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Use of the word in this sense is uncommon in English, in which "Day Star" or "Morning Star" are more common expressions.

In English, "Lucifer" generally refers to the Devil, although the name is not applied to him in the New Testament. The use of the name "Lucifer" in reference to a fallen angel stems from an interpretation of Isaiah 14:3–20, a passage that speaks of a particular Babylonian King, to whom it gives the title of "Day Star", "Morning Star" (in Latin, lucifer),[2] as fallen or destined to fall from the heavens or sky.[3] In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used to refer to the Morning Star, with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament times the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil, both in religious writing and in fiction.

If you understand the Bible as a book of parables rather than taking it literally then Satan or 'The Devil' is commonly believed to be an aspect of the human mind or 'The Ego'

and is illustrated by the Serpant.

As Jesus Christ is understood to be a 'Bringer of Light' then indeed he could be named Lucifer

Is Mohammed Lucifer ?

I find that offensive too. The reason why is that I have a very, very dear relative who is dying. She's a Catholic and she's taking a lot of strength from that. Why should you mock her or anybody else for what they believe?

I find that offensive too. The reason why is that I have a very, very dear relative who is dying. She's a Catholic and she's taking a lot of strength from that. Why should you mock her or anybody else for what they believe?
Because it's fun and a good way to get them to challenge their beliefs. Besides when beliefs get as silly as catholicism it's too hard to resist mocking them.

If this sort of thing upsets you that much then might I suggest not reading it?

Lucifer IS Not Satan so how can it be offensive?

This thread started with a interesting question and there have been some informed replies. All religions desperatly need open debate and thankfully this is beginning to happen. Anything that is closed to debate fails to grow and develop which sadly is where religion is today. The bible is an ancient book of stories written to help the common person to understand mystic teachings. It is written in a way that is difficult for the modern person to understand and not to be taken literally!

This thread started with a interesting question and there have been some informed replies. All religions desperatly need open debate and thankfully this is beginning to happen. Anything that is closed to debate fails to grow and develop which sadly is where religion is today. The bible is an ancient book of stories written to help the common person to understand mystic teachings. It is written in a way that is difficult for the modern person to understand and not to be taken literally!

Did you check out the names of Satan?

http://www.markbeast.com/satan/names-of-satan.htm

http://www.abecedarian.org/Pages/namesofsatan.htm

The name Lucifer is used in Isaiah as already pointed out..Satan comes under many names as aspect of his nature are put over by the story tellers.

So why did you say this?

Lucifer is a Latin word (from the words lucem ferre), literally meaning "light-bearer", which in that language is used as a name for the dawn appearance of the planet Venus, heralding daylight. Use of the word in this sense is uncommon in English, in which "Day Star" or "Morning Star" are more common expressions.

In English, "Lucifer" generally refers to the Devil, although the name is not applied to him in the New Testament. The use of the name "Lucifer" in reference to a fallen angel stems from an interpretation of Isaiah 14:3–20, a passage that speaks of a particular Babylonian King, to whom it gives the title of "Day Star", "Morning Star" (in Latin, lucifer),[2] as fallen or destined to fall from the heavens or sky.[3] In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used to refer to the Morning Star, with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament times the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil, both in religious writing and in fiction.

If you understand the Bible as a book of parables rather than taking it literally then Satan or 'The Devil' is commonly believed to be an aspect of the human mind or 'The Ego'

and is illustrated by the Serpant.

As Jesus Christ is understood to be a 'Bringer of Light' then indeed he could be named Lucifer

I think this is a really good way of looking at the Biblical texts. What Tea4two points out is that the Bible is not a simple text to be taken as literal history. It seems to me to be full of parables, full of astrological understanding, full of symbology and metaphor.

Some of these we can still perhaps interpret in a meaningful way, but other meanings, that would once have been widely recognised, have been lost over time. Even the subtlest of nuances can change a person's perspective of what is written if they understand them- think of sarcasm, some people can pick up on it easier than others. We can't possibly understand the nuances of the Bible in their entirety- we live in different times and with a very different culture.

The problem is of course, that in absence of knowable truth, then any and all opinions must be considered valid.

Archived