Mountain bike shops

Most people would advise that you don't get much quality for that price, and may get better value buying higher quality gear second hand.

However, if you want new, quite a few people have good things to say about Decathlon, and they do have bikes in your price range. I've no experience of their bikes (just other bike related stuff and general sports gear, which I think is good value), I'm just going on what I've heard and read on bike forums.

Edit: I'd steer clear of the blinged-up fully suspended type of bike, especially in your price range. They only make sense if you are riding heavy duty routes which require it, and you will be spending more money overall on a much higher value bike.

Guest sibon
Most people would advise that you don't get much quality for that price, and may get better value buying higher quality gear second hand.

However, if you want new, quite a few people have good things to say about Decathlon, and they do have bikes in your price range. I've no experience of their bikes (just other bike related stuff and general sports gear, which I think is good value), I'm just going on what I've heard and read on bike forums.

Edit: I'd steer clear of the blinged-up fully suspended type of bike, especially in your price range. They only make sense if you are riding heavy duty routes which require it, and you will be spending more money overall on a much higher value bike.

I'm not much of a cyclist, but I do have a Decathlon mountain bike. I bought it a year ago and do maybe 15 miles a week on it.

It is fine for me. I pedal up and down the odd road and off road bit. It works fine, seems well built and cost me £120. I'm very pleased with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
i want to buy a mountain bike. nothing flash. dont want to spend over 100 quid. anyone know any good shops in sheffield, thanks

Probably too late now, but if you or anyone else is still looking...

On the Gadget Show tonight, on Channel 5 (and will be repeated a few times over the coming week), they tested several different £100 mountain bikes. The winner (and clearly seen as a good buy according to the programme - and not just a case of being the least worst of a bad bunch) was a Decathlon bike (without suspension).

Edit. It was a Rock-something. Maybe Rockrunner.

Archived