Housing benefit cuts are on the way

Housing and the cost of it are artificially controlled and it is being used to extract from us our wealth/the opportunity of gaining it.

Not really, the cost of social housing is determined by the cost of providing it. Didn't we once have a chat about your mistaken belief that you could build a new house for £35k ish?

You probably have a fair point about overly generous HB though - obviously that seems to be the reason behind the proposed cap, but I'm no expert in the day to day setting of rentals or available benefit so I'm happy to go with your assessment.

Go on then - explain.

(gets popcorn)

Currently the level of LHA in Sheffield for a single room is £90, in October next year when LHA rates drop by 40% because they are to be assessed against 30th percentile rather than the 50th. LHA will drop to £54 so if you want to live in that property you will have to do so with £36 of your own money.

The level of HB artificially dictates the cost of housing.

Wrong. The cost of housing is dictated by the market.

And doesn't local housing allowance drive down HB levels in the privately rented sector - ditto rent restructuring in social housing.

Not really, the cost of social housing is determined by the cost of providing it. Didn't we once have a chat about your mistaken belief that you could build a new house for £35k ish?

You probably have a fair point about overly generous HB though - obviously that seems to be the reason behind the proposed cap, but I'm no expert in the day to day setting of rentals or available benefit so I'm happy to go with your assessment.

I think I said £50k referring to bricks and mortar, not taking into account land, although £35k seems reasonable and depending on quality I think it could be done for far less.

A few pallets and an improvised roof for far less than £1k.

I'm not taking into account the cost of land and law though, these vast sums being the problem we face.

I know someone who is on Incapacity Benefit and yes they really cannot work, They live in a 2 bedroom property and it's something like £495 per month or something i think that's what they told me the other day when i spoke to them about it, How much rent are they going to have to pay out from their benefits each month from next October? They already pay a fair amount now.

Wrong. The cost of housing is dictated by the market.

And doesn't local housing allowance drive down HB levels in the privately rented sector - ditto rent restructuring in social housing.

The market is set by the price people pay, which is in turn set by HB levels.

The £15 you can make from LHA encourages people to drive down rent to the level where the £15 is paid.

85 rent, 100 LHA. Save your £15 towards the water rates, gas/electric or remaining food ration £-benefit.

The artificial level remains.

What has happened is, lower rents have got higher to take the full advantage of HB, social rents have also increased quickly to gain a share of this money, whilst other rents have remained the same or have been dictated by the wider market, leading to a rise in HB.

I know someone who is on Incapacity Benefit and yes they really cannot work, They live in a 2 bedroom property and it's something like £495 per month or something i think that's what they told me the other day when i spoke to them about it, How much rent are they going to have to pay out from their benefits each month from next October? They already pay a fair amount now.

Probably nothing when it comes round to it. They get a lot more in benefits than most. The lowest rate of JSA would see them getting £52 (just under) and then £62 HB pw.

Taking into account their rent shortfall, they would have an income of £-1pw, before taking into account, water, gas, electric, food, travel, clothing.

These figures are paid today and are accurate to Sheffield.

(my bold)

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

*breathes*

ha ha ha ha ha ha.. (etc)

Rents in London are ridiculously, obscenely high.

with the exception on maida vale or notting hill a max of £400 a week would cover most of london unless people are taking the mick with the propertys there trying to rent (before you say what would i know well 17 years living there and most of my family and friends still being there) for example my mums private rented 3 bed flat is £235 per week

Archived