Housing benefit cuts are on the way

thats is shocking money..income tax and nat ins will come off then council tx, then all the other bills they need to pay, on top of that food, what is left? nothing..people are better off on the dole..

you totally miss my point...i am not saying people should go on the dole, i am saying that with wages that bad people are financially better off on the dole..and sorry but i dont know when you bought your house because nowadays you need to be earning 40-50k a year to be considered for a mortgage, that is, unless mummy and daddy give you money

Bought my house back in 99 and to be fair house prices where lower but so was the minimum wage.

Mum a cleaner, dad a steel worker so I guess that answers that part of your post.

Housing benefit (for most) is a complete swizz, people should be 'encouraged' back into work the only way to do this is to cut it completely.

What about the people who claim housing benefit who already have jobs? What about the pensioners and the carers and the disabled and mentally disabled who all claim it would you have them digging holes all day?

it's the fundamental argument of the role of social housing and the way in which the previous government inflated the housing market to ridiculous levels by encouraging buy -to-let as a 'hobby' and allowing LTV figures of over 100 % for mortgages with ever increasing multiples of income for the value of the loan ...

the fundamental purpose of Social housing is to meet specific welfare needs in housing - so those referring to the disabled, terminally ill etc are being just as ridiculous as those who suggest that the 'scrounging dolie scum' should be out digging holes and filling them back in ...

much of the problem with waiting lists at present is underoccupation of 3 and 4 bed council houses on subsidised rents solely because the tenant has been renting that property for many years , and if their current household applied for that property they would not be eligible , and the properties only become available upon the death or move to sheltered accomodation / 24 hour care settings of the tenant...

Housing benefit is a pragmatic solution for those who do not have specific welfare needs and can occupy 'standard' housing , however it should not be providing housing over and above an acceptable reasonable standard , this is where the Daily Wail teeth gnashing starts over extended families being housed in prestige properties or housing benefit rukles that allow premium properties of any size to be fully paid for by an over generous regime

The cuts in Housing Benefit are madness. If the maximum a person can claim is to be £400 per week (a pathetic sum in a civilised society) for a home, then what happens if the rent in the home they are living in is £700 per week.

£400 into £700 does not go, so where does the extra £300 per week suddenly come from?

£400 a WEEK is more than enough for nearly any property in the North of England - that's over £1700 pcm

400 pounds a month is enough for singles and couples , but probably not quite enough for families with 2 or more children especially if the children are different genders or have a big age gap ... but looking at rental prices where i am ( between Sheffield and Leeds ) 650 gbp / month would rent a perfectly reasonable 3 bed house - a quick browse round some lettings sites for Sheffield shows pretty much the same pattern if you exclude student lets / Student Areas

so have the government cottoned on to private housing landlords charging what they have and now need to bring them into line ?what i would like to know is where will all these people live if they are forced out of these houses seeing as there is not a lot of council housing around http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Poor-face-losing-their-homes.6385572.jp

Erm; not an expert in statistics, but 30th percentile doesn't mean a 30% cut, as that would suggest the lowest figure in the sample is £1.

Rubbish, non article. Pure sensationalism.

i live in rented house at the moment and i pay £400 a month why do ppl on benefits get the benifit of not paying full rent and council tax them who work shud get the benefit i think we are the 1's who can be bothered to get up and go out to work

Can we stop using the term 'less fortunate'. Everyone in this country is fortunate to get an education and opportunity to gain qualifications. In some countries people don't get an education.

Now I know there are some people who have qualifications and are out of work but are trying to gain employment. But there are some who spent the best part of their school years dossing about, left with no qualifications / skills and now complain that they are not fortunate. These are the ones who should be grateful for what they are given.

To me the difference between Labour and Tory is that Labour believe that giving money to people out of work encourages them to gain work. We are forever hearing that these cuts will hit the 'most vulnerable' and 'less fortunate'. But these groups of people have been the same for many years. This money has done nothing to them except keep them in poverty / need. The Tory way of thinking is tough love but it works. The benefits system is crazy and too many now refuse to work because quite frankly it is too much hard work than sitting at home waiting for a payment.

Well to me it does appear that this government could not give a stuff about the less fortunate poor people as they are the ones that this government is hitting the hardest.

At this present moment in time i receive around £460 each month is housing benefit that leaves me with £40 each month that i pay myself out of my benefits.

From next october if i was still living in this property i would only receive around £272 per month in housing benefit and would have to make up £228 per month in rent which on a very low income would be impossible if i somehow managed to pay that amount i have no doubt that i could not afford food or bills.

You see this is what gets me, and I've seen it on the news again tonight, "I've got to pay it out of my benefits"

How do you think I pay my mortgage? The mortgage fairy? I don't have any money given to me at all towards my living expenses, I pay it all from what I earn.

We have to get away from this culture of entitlement to benefits no matter what. I'm all for a mechanism that pays people that have fallen on hard times and have been in work and have been made redundant, those people have contributed. But those that see it as an entitlement and as a career choice, go live in Africa and see how far you get.

Bought my house back in 99 and to be fair house prices where lower but so was the minimum wage.

Mum a cleaner, dad a steel worker so I guess that answers that part of your post.

Housing benefit (for most) is a complete swizz, people should be 'encouraged' back into work the only way to do this is to cut it completely.

..but then you would have more people living on the streets..its no solution to cut it completely..maybe one solution is to ensure rents are affordable to all instead of greedy landlords charging over the odds..this may also discourage all of these buy to let profiteers from buying up all of the housing, inflatin the prices of houses, and putting them out of the reach of the average joe..another one would be for councils to stop selling land to private developers who just build flats and houses that are only affordable for the few, and build more social housing...only in the UK is social housing seen as an option for the poor and as such carries a stigma with it..we are really a country of snobs..

Archived