Housing benefit cuts are on the way

You see this is what gets me, and I've seen it on the news again tonight, "I've got to pay it out of my benefits"

How do you think I pay my mortgage? The mortgage fairy? I don't have any money given to me at all towards my living expenses, I pay it all from what I earn.

We have to get away from this culture of entitlement to benefits no matter what. I'm all for a mechanism that pays people that have fallen on hard times and have been in work and have been made redundant, those people have contributed. But those that see it as an entitlement and as a career choice, go live in Africa and see how far you get.

i dont know how they get so much on benefits..i was unemployed a few years ago for 1 Month! i claimed the dole for that month only, i could barely survive on what I got...on the same note, i fail to see how anybody could be out of work for more than a month, i found work within a few weeks of being made redundant, i just took anything, i stayed in the job for 4 months until i found one that was a long term option, i just needed to be working for my own self esteem..

i think the rip off landlords will accept that they have had it to good for to long and most will agree to a rent ceiling set by an independant agency

With any luck, a regulated maximum rent will force out the "buy-to-sell" speculation idiots who got into renting as a cash-cow capital gains project rather than as a business.

Weren't they already forced out by the housing market crash, tightening of lending criteria and general economic malaise? Certainly it's not a hot property at the market, so no one new is joining in, anyone that still has property is probably not about to sell up because HB falls by 10 a week.

If there are any 2 bedroom properties in Sheffield for £68 per week please let me know where they are as i seriously doubt there are any private accommodation for this amount of money.

Does £68.99 count? I let my 2-bed flat for £300pm, but it's occupied and is not likely to become vacant.

Council rents can't be compared directly to private rents ever.

Under rent level convergence, all social housing rent levels are required to drift towards the levels of private sector housing in the local area so that price is not a distinguishing factor. This is required to be done by 2010. Nope, 2015. Nope, 2020. All, while at the same time not raising rents so much as to incure rent clawback penelties for raising rent levels. :loopy:

Has the new government changed this?

"LHA is based upon the number of bedrooms the claimant or their household need."

How is "need" defined? I've always argued that a single person needs two bedrooms. One to sleep in and one to store junk, vacuum cleaner, suitcases, spare furniture, overnight guest, work from home in, etc. etc. I put a lot of effort into converting my one-bed flats into two-bed because I saw no point in crushing people into rabbit-hutches.

Looking at the figures, maybe I should increase my rent by £193 !

For a private landlord, I shouldn't think there is any difference between the 'private' market and the 'part-state-sponsored' market. Asking rental price is (should be) the same.

I don't care who my tenants are, or where they get their money from. I set what I believe to be a fair rent, if they don't want to pay it they can look for somebody else to pay.

The cuts in Housing Benefit are madness. If the maximum a person can claim is to be £400 per week (a pathetic sum in a civilised society) for a home, then what happens if the rent in the home they are living in is £700 per week.

£400 a week??? That's almost three times my last salary!

Archived