New Govt taking away our right to know how badly Council is performing

they will be assessed against targets set by the council which will take into account local demographics

So Council A collects 99% of Council Tax owed, whereas Council B collects 80% and you don't think we have the right to know and to question this.

A bit bizarre for someone who regularly comments on the Political threads!

So Council A collects 99% of Council Tax owed, whereas Council B collects 80% and you don't think we have the right to know and to question this.

One would imagine, in this time of austerity, that would depend on whether the value of the information outweighs the cost of collecting it.

It seems the present administration has deemed that it isn't worth it. I tend to agree and don't have a problem with it.

We'll just have to manage as we used to. I'm sure most people who use a service could tell you whether they think it's acceptable or not.

A bit bizarre for someone who regularly comments on the Political threads!

we always knew these things before new labour came along and we will continue to know them

we always knew these things before new labour came along and we will continue to know them

I don't think you've read the article in the link as this is what it says:

"Councils in England will no longer have to report to ministers annually on their performance in key areas."

I'm not quite sure how you think we'll still get to see this information if they don't have to produce it.

One would imagine, in this time of austerity, that would depend on whether the value of the information outweighs the cost of collecting it.

I don't think this is the best example to support your viewpoint.

Surely in times of austerity, we should be fed more information about areas like Council Tax collection as this directly affects us all.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to save any money since Eric Pickles has announced that councils will have to make every single item of council expenditure over £500 available for scrutiny on the web. This will mean loads of staff being tied up answering loads of stupid queries

Archived