Robert and belks silver smiths

Roberts and Belk Silver Smiths.

It was 1970 when I worked at Roberts and Belk on Furnival Street, just down the road from the neet clubs on Eyre Street. I left after a week because of safety reasons. I was given a task working on a machine without a safety guard. I valued my fingers. I remember working with a lad called Robert, a South African from Johannesburg? Another lad there was called David Brown. They’ll be in their early 60’s now.

The following week I started at another silversmithing company on West Street. Davidson’s. It was situated next door to the Saddle (Old) Tetley. It was better at Davidson’s and 10/- more a week.

zakes , an old hackenthorpe lad worked there for years , Stuart White . you probably knew him

zakes , an old hackenthorpe lad worked there for years , Stuart White . you probably knew him

I worked with Stuart at George Butlers before he went to Belk's. A few of us went out together on a Saturday night.

belks was one big play ground from clocking on to clocking off, lucky if i worked an hour a day. just got mucky to look like you was doing something and old man john vander was an ok gaffer. wonder if dots still alive she fed me every day for free.

i worked with both stuart and walt both was nice guys .a great place to work ,went downhill after the americans took over and then jimmy took it down .he was and will always be a arsehole

I worked there twice for a total of 13 years , i left before the yanks toke it over , glad i did , they made a total mess and it went down hill .

It was on the corner of Furnival Street and Arundel Street,

Exactly right...My old Grandmother....Eliza Osbourne... had a shop on the corner of Furnival/Arundel Street,right next door to R/Belk, she sold sarnies to the workers all around.I was born in the house next door to the shop on Arundel St.and my Aunts lived further down near to Wall/Kays where they worked as buffers...the building is still there...I used to go round to the house.. (Roberts/Belk) where the..manager/owner ???? lived on Furnival St as he had a son about the same age as me at the time,i always remember the huge railway set they had in the front room and the paper plane he taught me how to make,we often played in the yard out back too.This would be in the early 50's.....Long ago,we moved around 1955/56 and I never knew what happened to either.