Government help the unemployed in relocating.

As well as:-

Winter fuel payments.

Incapacity benefit.

Contributions based JSA.

Income Based JSA.

Disability living allowance.

Statutory sick pay.

Statutory maternity pay.

That I know of.

Really?

I might just check a few of those out.

Maternity pay for example. Presumably only if they are actually working for a UK based company and are temporarily abroad (as opposed to having become resident).

If you go to live or visit abroad

Once you become entitled to or if you are already getting SMP and then go abroad, your employer must pay you SMP.

This one isn't what we were talking about.

If you work outside the United Kingdom (UK) for a UK employer you may be able to get SMP if your employer pays NI contributions for you, or would pay if your earnings were high enough.

This is fair enough, you work for a UK company and pay UK tax.

If you worked for a UK employer both in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the UK and actually worked in the UK in the 15th week before your expected week of childbirth you may get SMP even if your employer has not paid NI contributions for you.

And this one only applies if you were working in the UK.

None of these apply in the original statement though, which was about ex-pats that have moved abroad and then claim benefits.

To be fair, you're correct about some of the other benefits, including winter fuel payments.

Since that is one that's available to all elderly British citizens it's difficult to see how it could be legally stopped...

My parents in law moved out of London in the early 50s, went to Wales, and then to Scotland because there were opportunities there. The family got housed under a 'key worker' scheme. But in those days, people had to be able to afford council housing, as it was better quality (baths, hot water etc) than many of the old privately rented ones. Lettings weren't done on the basis of need. They'd been living in one room in London, with no chance of getting anything better for years. And in the days before housing benefits, being on the dole meant you could rarely afford decent housing.

I had a friend who with her husband and kids moved from London to Northampton in the 70s or 80s, as part of a scheme to help people into jobs and they got social housing as part of the deal.

As social housing is in such short supply these days, I can't imagine how its going to work, unless the government put real money into building homes in areas where there is work. Then they'd have to allocate them to those who get the jobs, and who've had to give up social housing to move there.

I believe those who are motivated to find work, and have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience generally make the effort and don't expect to find everything they want on their doorstep.

My Granfather moved to Sheffield from Birmingham area and my Mom moved here from Thurnscoe.

My Father-in-law moved up here from Stoke-on-Trent, and now stays 1/2 the week in Birmingham where he works, and comes home for the weekend.

My little tribe would not exist if it wasn't for the nomadic nature of some folk.

I've heard arguments about how difficult it can be to move a family from city to city, the only thing that really prevents us from taking the plunge and relocating is the timing, our eldest daughter has 2 years left until she takes her G.C.S.E's and does not want to move.

My Granfather moved to Sheffield from Birmingham area and my Mom moved here from Thurnscoe.

My Father-in-law moved up here from Stoke-on-Trent, and now stays 1/2 the week in Birmingham where he works, and comes home for the weekend.

My little tribe would not exist if it wasn't for the nomadic nature of some folk.

I've heard arguments about how difficult it can be to move a family from city to city, the only thing that really prevents us from taking the plunge and relocating is the timing, our eldest daughter has 2 years left until she takes her G.C.S.E's and does not want to move.

We're pretty similar. We moved to Doncaster from Scotland 40 years ago. Our eldest child was a baby at the time. The area we stayed in for 17 years had a lot of families like us who had moved because of work. It was good because we supported each other as few of us had families who were local. We didn't move again til the kids were adults. I was with some friends of my son's family at the weekend in Cheshire. They are a couple with one 10 daughter going up to senior school. Mum works locally, dad got made redundant a couple of years ago, and rather than uproot the family, he commutes to Northampton to work 4 days, with one overnight stay. And the mum was originally from Bournemouth!

It is difficult at certain times of our lives - like when children are in education -but for people without responsibilities - the world's their lobster. ;) Pity some can't see opportunities outside their estate or village.

The condems want to increase labour mobility just like in their beloved USA, but what will happen to the social cohesion that they blather on about, the 'big society' if the UK becomes or (becomes even more of) a giant transit camp, what happens to family support, networks, what if your partners works even if you don't.

perhaps someone could write a book about their experiences if these changes come in,

they could call it 'The Grapes Of Wrath'

Its a rotten idea given that most jobs don't pay enough to move back again if it all goes t1ts up.

Surely with all the money our money grabbing employers have saved on doling out badly paid jobs, employers could help out people who are prepared to relocate instead of wealthy employers scrounging off the state.

Isn't their enough tax loopholes and dodges available for employers to take advantage of already.

Why dont we get the long term unemployed, we know who im talking about here, to ''Work'' for their dole money in the local community for a set amount of hours a week, doing jobs like sweeping up leave's cutting grass, litter picking etc, if they know they had to work for their dole money they could possibly, think sod this i might as well find a job!

be alot easier than sending Sheffield chav's to Bournemouth to find work etc.

Archived