Jobless relocation plans condemned by Labour

Trying to find an article about a bunch of flats that have just been built in Matlock. Controversy about those, I know - and am pretty sure it's to do with moving people over from Nottingham area. Will try and find it!

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/Tenants-ready-to-take-on.6274412.jp

Well this is AN article about it .. but as yet to trawl for the "alleged" moving folks from Nottingham one ..

It will be cheaper than having them sponge off the state.

they aren't being expected to, they are being offered the option because at the moment they can't accept £6 an hour jobs as they will lose their council house if they have to move.

Lets get real.

If people had some kind of skill or trade any assistance in moving to follow their trade would help, by there very nature low paid jobs are unskilled with little prospects and would be snapped up as casual work by the local labour market making a move for such work totally unrealistic and a none starter.

Lets get real.

If people had some kind of skill or trade any assistance in moving to follow their trade would help, by there very nature low paid jobs are unskilled with little prospects and would be snapped up as casual work by the local labour market making a move for such work totally unrealistic and a none starter.

lets get realer,

if they don't want to move they don't have to!

Moving to take up a high paid job with a future is one thing but are we really expecting people to move for £6 an hour jobs.

I moved to take up a job that paid £5.50 p/h, it was a struggle but meant that I got experience and am now in a well paid job, thanks to that one.

I don't believe people should be forced to move, but I think assistance with moving costs and housing would be massively beneficial for people and is surely worth trying?

Labour say the plan echoes the words of then-Tory minister Norman Tebbit in 1981 when he suggested the unemployed should "get on your bike" and look for work.

But the same Labour rubbish want eastern Europeans to relocate here to find work!! :huh:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gd2mW_7uzRejb-VodYbZXZ986dcQ

Yes ok i've spelled condemned wrong :P

This crops up time and again but Norman Tebbit never said "get on your bike". The actual quote was;

‘I grew up in the 1930s with an unemployed father. He did not riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he went on looking until he found it.’

Which is common sense really. You have to go where the work is rather than sit on your backside and expect employers to come looking for you, as most jobless people seem to do these days.

Not sure what the fuss is about..hasn't there always been a choice to uproot and find work? The only difference I see here is is punishing for not. In terms of distance many commute 15miles if not more. If you have to get on your bike that's a fair indicator that it would be local'ish anyway. Tebbit's Dad probably lived in times when good jobs were available with a sound future. I'm not sure you can compare the 1930's with 2010. Anyone with idea's on how you deal with the thousands put out of their homes if they didn't comply? and the financial issues alone that would raise?

Personally I think the Tories have got it wrong...again. What if you uproot your family and the company shuts down after it's made it's killing? Uproot again? And what jobs are we talking about? massive investment by large corporations who are willing to train, or another Poundland or pawn shops who have zero interest in the local community apart from draining it. All well and good people "getting on their bike" but government and industry has to show the same willingness...like most things it isn't one way traffic.

Not sure what the fuss is about..hasn't there always been a choice to uproot and find work? The only difference I see here is is punishing for not. In terms of distance many commute 15miles if not more. If you have to get on your bike that's a fair indicator that it would be local'ish anyway. Tebbit's Dad probably lived in times when good jobs were available with a sound future. I'm not sure you can compare the 1930's with 2010. Anyone with idea's on how you deal with the thousands put out of their homes if they didn't comply? and the financial issues alone that would raise?

Personally I think the Tories have got it wrong...again. What if you uproot your family and the company shuts down after it's made it's killing? Uproot again? And what jobs are we talking about? massive investment by large corporations who are willing to train, or another Poundland or pawn shops who have zero interest in the local community apart from draining it. All well and good people "getting on their bike" but government and industry has to show the same willingness...like most things it isn't one way traffic.

Why do the idle English make such a fuss about "uprooting" to find work when the economic migrants of Eastern Europe seem to manage it without kicking up a fuss?

Why do the idle English make such a fuss about "uprooting" to find work when the economic migrants of Eastern Europe seem to manage it without kicking up a fuss?

Probably the same reason as none idle English kicking up a fuss about the same immigrants moving here. The English do seem to have a thing about what our next door neighbours are doing. Twitchy curtains, pointy fingers and stuff.

I came to the UK in 1968 to look for work. During the 60s 70s and early 80s it was hardly uncommon for people to leave home to find work - many went home at weekends or less frequently. ('Auf Wiedersehen Pet' was based on the experiences of many people.)

Nobody thought it was strange that people should go to find work - not until Norman Tebbit reminded them that that was what people used to do.

If Labour think the out-of-work should sit where they are and it is the duty of the state to bring work (or if not work, money) to people sitting around waiting for it, do you really want them back in power?

The people on the news article I saw last night weren't being told to get off their backsides and go and look for work.

They were being told:

We have a job for you.

We have a house for you near that job.

We will move you there if you want the job and the house.

Do you want to take the offer? The answer was 'No!'

IMO, the conversation shouldn't have ended there. Something along the lines of:

"Well I admire you for your courage and entrepreneurial attitude. The state offered you work and accommodation, but you want to go it alone. I wish you luck as a self-employed person; You'll be living in the fast lane - don't get run over.

Your benefits stop next week. If you don't have enough money, not a problem. - You're the boss, you can pay yourself as much as you want."

Would have sealed the deal.

Archived