Jobless relocation plans condemned by Labour

I can't see this facility being used by great numbers of people. It will be used by some people though - as long as it is cost effective and fair it seems like a good idea.

It's actually a re-hash of a Labour idea in 2003-4 - the Housing and Employment Mobility Scheme which seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm not sure if it ever got going. It tied together social housing provision and employment opportunities, in theory enabling people to chase the work. Having tried to get this off the ground previously I'm not sure why Labour are in such a spin - I guess as always the devil is in the detail.

Because it's somebody else doing it?

I don't have enough info but as I understand it there were many barriers in place with the previous attempt. The reaction wasn't wholly positive as far as I know. Maybe the issue is that the LibCons are trying to steamroller through those barriers. I'm not saying that is a bad thing but it might explain why Labour are upset.

they aren't being expected to, they are being offered the option because at the moment they can't accept £6 an hour jobs as they will lose their council house if they have to move.

Would that be as a result of future cuts in means-tested benefits related to housing?

It will be cheaper than having them sponge off the state.

It will create an enormous amount of resentment among people who are already saying they can't get social housing as well. People who are working, might I add.

Talk about divide and conquer.

This crops up time and again but Norman Tebbit never said "get on your bike". The actual quote was;

‘I grew up in the 1930s with an unemployed father. He did not riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he went on looking until he found it.’

Which is common sense really. You have to go where the work is rather than sit on your backside and expect employers to come looking for you, as most jobless people seem to do these days.

Another point to that is that at that time there was no welfare state, or at least it was embryonic, if it was there. A time of serious depression though, it must be said. We also live in very different times, even in comparison to twenty years ago, let alone eighty.

Archived