Jobless relocation plans condemned by Labour

Is this being offered or going to be forced on people? The reason i say it is because people cannot be expected to take kids out of schools where their friends are and move them to a totally different area which would take them away from their family and extended family.

I admit for some people especially single people with no ties it could be an ok idea but it seems a bit pie in the sky to me.

My bold

Why not?? When I was a child, my parents moved any number of times so my dad could get a job and support the family. Yorkshire, Kent, the Midlands, if the work was there, that's where we went.

When he went back down the pit, we moved into a mining village in the Midlands. The place was stuffed with Geordie and Scots miners, who'd had to move, because there was no work in their home towns.

And it wasn't a case of moving straight into your own house, everybody started off in lodgings. Men on their own ended up sharing a bedroom with 3 total strangers - or more, if an extra set of bunk beds could be squeezed in.

My parents, baby brother and me shared a room. My elder brother shared the box-room with the son of the house! And we were grateful for the fact that we were all together, and not split between 2 or 3 different houses.

It wasn't what you could call comfortable, but you put up with it until a house became available. That was nearly 50 years ago, when people were more concerned with their responsibilities than they were with what a lot of people these days see as their rights!

My bold

Why not?? When I was a child, my parents moved any number of times so my dad could get a job and support the family. Yorkshire, Kent, the Midlands, if the work was there, that's where we went.

When he went back down the pit, we moved into a mining village in the Midlands. The place was stuffed with Geordie and Scots miners, who'd had to move, because there was no work in their home towns.

When there was still heavy industry, fair enough. It ain't the same at all now.

And it wasn't a case of moving straight into your own house, everybody started off in lodgings. Men on their own ended up sharing a bedroom with 3 total strangers - or more, if an extra set of bunk beds could be squeezed in.

My parents, baby brother and me shared a room. My elder brother shared the box-room with the son of the house! And we were grateful for the fact that we were all together, and not split between 2 or 3 different houses.

Have a look through the classifieds now and find me simillar. It wouldn't even be allowed. Funny though, as that's the sort of mentality which has been used a stick to beat economic migrants with.

It wasn't what you could call comfortable, but you put up with it until a house became available. That was nearly 50 years ago, when people were more concerned with their responsibilities than they were with what a lot of people these days see as their rights!

To a point. I think at that time as well there was a 'job first, house later' mentality. That's just not feasible now. Bear in mind that you are talking about nearly 50 years ago too!

I moved to take up a job that paid £5.50 p/h, it was a struggle but meant that I got experience and am now in a well paid job, thanks to that one.

I don't believe people should be forced to move, but I think assistance with moving costs and housing would be massively beneficial for people and is surely worth trying?

that is very unusual, and perhaps only happens with unskilled people.

If someone in my position were to take a low paid job for a period of time, prospective employers would run a mile.

I would be seen as a loser, willing to take any crumbs thrown at me.

If you want to be treat as a chattel, and with contempt, take any old job, and don't expect respect if you do.

If someone in my position were to take a low paid job for a period of time, prospective employers would run a mile.

If you want to be treat as a chattel, and with contempt, take any old job, and don't expect respect if you do.

Prospective employers would see that as having good character.I have had to do this several times in my life due to circumstances beyond my control.I saw it as a step back on the ladder and it worked.

I have sat on interview panels also and would admire anyone who is attempting to get back to work, irrespective of the rate of pay that the job offers.

Thinking that you are over qualified, or thinking that taking a low paid job is demeaning is part of the problem with people not wanting to take low paid work.

There are many jobs available. It is better to have self respect and do a hard days work than to know that there are vacancies there that employers are desperate to fill, but that no one wants to do them just because they are low pay.

I have no idea what your position is but that certainly wouldn't be my thinking. I agree with Espadrille.

I got made redundant from a decent job with an ex nationalised industry when I was 49. My OH was ill and I wasn't in a position to move for work, so I got a basic clerical job - on the lowest grade. Within 9 months I'd been promoted. After 4 years I got a better job elsewhere. And so on until I retired.

Why do the idle English make such a fuss about "uprooting" to find work when the economic migrants of Eastern Europe seem to manage it without kicking up a fuss?
could it be that these people would get a pathetic wage in their homeland ? then along comes good old england who say come here and work for us where you will be able to claim extra in benefits because you will be poorly paid, you will be able to claim child tax credits for your kids who dont even reside in this country .i worked in germany in construction and when there was no work guess what we had to come home no claiming any benfits from the german government .

Prospective employers would see that as having good character.I have had to do this several times in my life due to circumstances beyond my control.I saw it as a step back on the ladder and it worked.

I have sat on interview panels also and would admire anyone who is attempting to get back to work, irrespective of the rate of pay that the job offers.

Thinking that you are over qualified, or thinking that taking a low paid job is demeaning is part of the problem with people not wanting to take low paid work.

There are many jobs available. It is better to have self respect and do a hard days work than to know that there are vacancies there that employers are desperate to fill, but that no one wants to do them just because they are low pay.

It's an interesting point though. I work in a job that has little in the way of vacancies in Sheffield but many in other cities and abroad. But if I lost my job moving away would be very difficult for the family - I have a lot of responsibilities here. My choice would probably be either getting a lower paid less skilled job in this area or a job elsewhere in my current industry and creating upheaval in family life.

The problem with the lower paid job here is that employers in my current industry would not look favourably on it. Often the workers in it are mobile and expected to be flexible. I'm actually pretty lucky right now because my job is fairly static. My trips away are fairly infrequent and easy to manage around family life - it isn't like that with most other employers. It wouldn't necessarily demonstrate character if I took a step down the ladder - it might actually be construed as weakness and a lack of flexibility and feasibly could signal a permanent exit from my current jobs market as I would have to wait a long time for a job like my current one to be locally available.

I would probably have to bite the bullet and move tio be honest.

That would be your decision though I1. If you decided you didn't want to move and had to work in another area for an extended length of time due to the lack of local vacancies it wouldn't be employers refusing you, it would be the lack of local opportunities.

And if the job normally requires mobility and you were asked about that in the future at interviews and indicated that you weren't prepared to adopt that lifestyle, that would still be your decision.

It could be that the lack of recent experience would disadvantage you against other candidates, but would an employer actually dislike the fact that you'd worked in another field, it seems unlikely, it's just inherently putting you at a disadvantage compared to people that haven't done that.

Unskilled? Bit of a leap to assume that the job was unskilled just beacuse it was low paid. It happens to be in a not well paid industry, not unskilled. And i'd just left uni.

Working is how you can build respect and develop skills, I worked my way up and would have respect for someone else doing it. I think the arrogance of seeing yourself as too good for a job would be far more damaging to how people see you than being willing and eager to work.

Archived