The Helston Report - it doesn't exist.

Recently another poster appears to have invented the 'Helston Report' in order to support an argument they were trying to make. This report (allegedly about the impact of corporal punishment on children ) cannot be found on the internet nor on the Central library catalogue were the poster claims he'd read it.

Not a crime, but a bit silly....how far would you go in inventing evidence to support a story?

Its here

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_reports/download/(id)/114797/(as)/112043_344489.pdf

That is an Ofsted report on a school in Helston, Cornwall, not the thing we're looking for.

According to our creatively minded poster -

''The Helston report from the mid seventies to present day clearly shows that the lack of deterant has shown a marked increase in juvenile crime.''

According the the bloke who invented it referred to it it's -

''an ongoing report of the changes to youth behaviour in transinct to population increase and to social expectants brought about by political change, initiated by Proff C Helston.''

It also apparently uses the word 'transinct' which the OED doesn't know.

Amazing!

Not a crime, but a bit silly....how far would you in inventing evidence to support a story?

I wouldn't, there's usually enough factual evidence after a quick Google search.

I always try and link to my sources too, there seems to be far too much stating of urban myths, half-truths and misinformation as "facts" on here already.

Archived