Remember popular songbooks?

Texas

When did 'songbooks' stop being printed? I remember seeing them in Newsagents up to around 1950 or so. They had all the lyrics to the popular songs of the day, no music, just the words. They were about the size of the Beano or Dandy. I think the advent of Rock 'n' Roll killed them off, if anybody's got any stashed away they'll be worth a few bob now.

not got the original song books, but in the late seventies SMASH HITS served a similar purpose when it was the first pop mag to concentrate on printing the words of songs, especially punk tracks where you couldn't hear the words.

i've got issues 2 to 10 or so, from 1978.

Originally posted by mojoworking

They were called Record Song Books and were hugely popular in the 50s and 60s. You could buy them in newsagents.

Here's a picture of one:

http://eil.com/newgallery/Rolling-Stones-Record-Song-Book-317122.jpg

No the ones i bought were in the seventies and called something like "words". I was a teenager in the seventies and can remember them well. The likes of David Cassidy, The osmonds etc were in them.

Archived