Obscuring Number Plates On TV

What's all this with the latest trend of 'fuzzing out' car registration plates on TV programmes?

Programmes as innocent as Location, Location, Location do it and it leaves me perplexed into why programmer makers do it.

Are we going to jot down these numbers and try and find these cars? If I do recognise a reg plate, am I going to run up to the person behind the wheel and say "Hey mate, that was you on Cash In The Attic, wasn't it?"

So what is the plot here? Anti-terrorism? (Mark and Sue from Tadcaster are relocating to Dulwich - suspicious movement detected - watch these two); Personal Safety? (That lollipop woman might start whacking your car with her Children Crossing sign after seeing you on The Daily Politics); or just over-enthusiastic silliness?

Comments please.

I was once reported for allegedly jumping a red light on the strength of a passer by that took my number down, I was told if I contested it in court it would probably get thrown out.

So there we have the dilemma have a day off work go to court and it “may” get thrown out or take a fine on the strength of someone jotting a number plate down.

Then there is cloning, TV gives a ready supply of makes / models / colours to look out for.

For that matter, why are people's faces fuzzed out? - I saw some footage the other day with 2 adults (the subjects - I haven't a clue what their names were) holding the hands of their small son. The 3 or 4 yr old's face was fuzzed out.

Would it have made any difference if people had actually seen his face? - No doubt many hundreds of people just walking down the road would've seen the face.

Then there are the plonkers filmed on TV. The lunchtime news showed footage of teenagers 'nuked in Newquay'. The face of one of the 'performers' was fuzzed out.

Why?

If he didn't want people to see him making a prat of himself he wouldn't have been there doing that, would he?

For that matter, why are people's faces fuzzed out? - I saw some footage the other day with 2 adults (the subjects - I haven't a clue what their names were) holding the hands of their small son. The 3 or 4 yr old's face was fuzzed out.
Are you assuming the 4yr old was theirs both? Or could he/she have been from a previous marriage/liaison of one of them and...

Would it have made any difference if people had actually seen his face? - No doubt many hundreds of people just walking down the road would've seen the face.
...indeed it would if the kid/one of the adults is on a register (can't remember the name of it, but storing details of endangered persons, e.g. ex-wives/GFs who left with kids because of abuse etc.), with a father or ex-BF out still out to find and abuse them.

IMHO, there's quite a difference between being 'exposed' to local passers-by, so to speak, and being 'exposed' to millions on the 6 o'clock news. One should have the right to do/say something about the later, if the presence within the camera shot is accidental and not material to the piece of news/topic of interest.

I'm guessing because it counts as personally identifiable information, so technically you could send your £10 and request a copy of all the info they hold on you, which would be quite a hassle.

I'm not sure it does under the DPA - personal information is that by which you can identify a living individual, and as cars can have numerous drivers who may or may not be the registered keeper I doubt it counts.

Archived