BRUISED LUNGS after 3 weeks coughing

Having had a continual cough(day and night!) along with hayfever and asthma for 3 weeks. Been on steroids, anti-biotics, hayfever treatment and inhalers. Is it possible for the lungs.area on the back/shoulder blades, to hurt/ache?

The cough has almost gone but, if one leans against something suddenly, on the shoulder or lower rib area it hurts and one starts to cough again . The chest is clear and all is returning back to normal , but this dull ache in the lung/lower rib area area is taking its time ........is this normal ?

Having had a continual cough(day and night!) along with hayfever and asthma for 3 weeks. Been on steroids, anti-biotics, hayfever treatment and inhalers. Is it possible for the lungs.area on the back/shoulder blades, to hurt/ache?

The cough has almost gone but, if one leans against something suddenly, on the shoulder or lower rib area it hurts and one starts to cough again . The chest is clear and all is returning back to normal , but this dull ache in the lung/lower rib area area is taking its time ........is this normal ?

Yes, looby this is normal after continuos coughing. Its like youve been kicked in the ribs isnt it.? Try and rest as much as possible and it will eventually go.

I doubt that your lungs are bruised. The pain you are having is likely to be what is called 'musculo-skeletal' - basically this means that the muscles in that area area are so strained by the constant coughing that they are inflamed and this causes the pain - it hurts but it will improve although it may take some days. Obviously, if the pain doesn't improve as the coughing subsides you should get checked out at your GP.

hi loobylou

i too have had the cough for weeks and the feeling of bruising when i catch myself around the front to the back left side. i went to the doctor who said it was the residue from hay fever that caused the coughing and it would go away eventually I had torn a muscle with so much coughing can sympathise greatly here's to a speedy recovery for both of us.

If it's a damaged intercostal muscle (which it often is after prolonged coughing issues), then it will take a long time to heal because you cannot rest them; to do so you'd have to stop breathing for a day or two.

Nothing to be done except wait it out, I'm afraid; and perhaps a few painkillers.

Archived