Can post offices change you money

i whent to my local post office today and asked to change £50 in notes for £50 in £1 coins. there said there was not able to give change due to post office rules. why is this i was on the understanding you could walk in and change notes for coins. anyone out there had the same probs!

I always thought the right to operate banking services required the bank and the post office (as they offer banking) to provide such a service to the public.

Did you ask the person who told you this which rule and where do you find it? Remember the post office is a public service in all but name and they are required to provide the services they agree to.

Many post offices have to order in coinage each day. They are not the royal mint or whoever it is who produce coins and do not carry a limitless supply. They can roughly assess how much of each coin they will need, with a little extra just in case of more customers than usual or more withdrawals or such.

So no - they do not have to give this change because chances are they have ordered a minimum of excess change.

And that's just a guess from what I know of the post offices in supermarkets so may not be correct across the board.

I always thought the right to operate banking services required the bank and the post office (as they offer banking) to provide such a service to the public.

Did you ask the person who told you this which rule and where do you find it? Remember the post office is a public service in all but name and they are required to provide the services they agree to.

That may be the case, but I doubt it's 'on demand', with notice they can probably facilitate the request.

That may be the case, but I doubt it's 'on demand', with notice they can probably facilitate the request.

Possibly not and my info may be out dated. Small changes in the terms of service that mean a tiny reduction, usually get very little publicity.

Archived