Can post offices change you money

I always thought the right to operate banking services required the bank and the post office (as they offer banking) to provide such a service to the public.

Surely a trader operating as a greengrocer has the right to sell you cabbages, but if he hasn't got any he is not obliged to find some.

The OP wanted 50 One Pound Coins but didn't say what time of day (s)he wanted them. - If it had been at the end of the day and the Post Office had a drawful, then no doubt they would have been glad to oblige, but if it was at the beginning, they may not have had enough to change large amounts and to operate their business.

Surely a trader operating as a greengrocer has the right to sell you cabbages, but if he hasn't got any he is not obliged to find some.

The OP wanted 50 One Pound Coins but didn't say what time of day (s)he wanted them. - If it had been at the end of the day and the Post Office had a drawful, then no doubt they would have been glad to oblige, but if it was at the beginning, they may not have had enough to change large amounts and to operate their business.

That’s actually a very different set of circumstances. A bank is not a retailer and the post office is certainly not the same as a greengrocer.

I don't know about post offices but banks can do that but I think they'll only do it if you have an account with them. The post office probably has similar rules.

Even then its not as simple as handing it over the counter, I had to pay money into my account and then draw it out in the denominations I wanted ………….. something about a transaction as to go through the till, they cant just stick £50 quid in the draw and take 50 coins out.

Did you ask the person who told you this which rule and where do you find it? Remember the post office is a public service in all but name and they are required to provide the services they agree to.

just what we need more idiots holding the line up longer moaning about change :|

I think the banks would very much disagree with you there.

I doubt it as they are not retailers. A retailer buys goods / products in bulk from manufacturers / importers, either directly or indirectly and then sells smaller quantities of said products to the end-user / general public.

You may be getting confused with the term: Retail banking, which is different to the above description.

Archived