Cycling to Cornwall!

Hello,

Me and my friends are cycling from Sheffield to Cornwall in September for Cancer Research UK.

We have never cycled distance before, has anyone else done anything similar that may have some words of wisdom?

L.

P.S. We are on a hunt for old/new/used road bicycles to fix up in to good shape for the journey or some part of it. Anyone got anything they're trying to sell or get rid of?

Hello,

Me and my friends are cycling from Sheffield to Cornwall in September for Cancer Research UK.

We have never cycled distance before, has anyone else done anything similar that may have some words of wisdom?

L.

P.S. We are on a hunt for old/new/used road bicycles to fix up in to good shape for the journey or some part of it. Anyone got anything they're trying to sell or get rid of?

Join the CTC (£35) and also get busy on their web forum (free). You'll find plenty of suitable second hand bikes and equipment there too along with more experience, advice and goodwill than you could possibly ever need.

Good luck, it sounds like a great adventure.

I'm a non-fit cyclist and I've done Lincoln-Cromer a couple of years back and the Hadrian's Cycleway this year. My top tips:

- take at least 4 spare innertubes

- be sure to have tested all your gear and done practice maintenance tasks e.g. cable replacements before setting off

- look at insurance. My bike insurance includes roadside rescue where they'll take me and my bike to my destination (but not for punctures)

- Watch out for sunburn on your arms

- Do a good few practice rides with all your gear and work out what you need/don't need/works for you etc. If sat-navving, check a battery will last all day etc

- get a lot of practice rides in. In the run-up to Hadrian's Cycleway I was extending my 2 mile ride home to 10 miles. And then doing 25 each Saturday and Sunday with full luggage to try and get a little bit used to it. Worked a treat.

- Tell someone where you're going to be each day

- the single biggest thing that will annoy you is the wind. Cold, rain, hills, punctures all pale into insignificance if you have a bad day with a headwind all day. Will also be the thing that most dictates what clothing you have on.

- when planning, be realistic about how far you can actually do in a day

- for me, one of the most useful things was a compass on the handlebars and map prints on the top of a handlebar bag - could work out where I was/was going without having to dismount and fish out a map from a pannier every 5 minutes.

- have fun

Phil

Hey,

Thanks for all the advice, we are training in a serious way and taking help from everywhere possible.

It is over a course of six days with and we have camping spots arranged for each night.

We're looking to get a lot of press for this (which will in turn get us much more sponsorship) so if anyone wants to help in anyway please get in touch!

Will join the CTC too thanks!

L.

Archived