Credit card charges for taxing your car online.

I have just retaxed my car online via the DVLA website and was charged £2.50 for making the online payment using my credit card.

Is this legal? I thought that there was trouble some years ago when some filling stations started to charge customers for payment via credit card.

I'm sure the DVLA have negotiated a better rate - as Ikea appear to have done. I hope they have anyway - I pay less than 2% on CC transactions and I can only dream of taking as much as the DVLA.

I think it's a cheek. They should set their price to take account of your costs like everyone else - and it's a cheek because I suspect they do, they just add on a charge because they can.

Can't see my customers being too impressed if I started charging a flat fee for debit card transactions and a percentage on credit cards.

I'm guessing they have to charge it separately because the DVLA don't set the tax rate.

Hmm - let me see, the DVLA is a government agency collecting money for the government which owns a couple of banks.

Perhaps they could negotiate free banking?

I have just retaxed my car online via the DVLA website and was charged £2.50 for making the online payment using my credit card.

Is this legal? I thought that there was trouble some years ago when some filling stations started to charge customers for payment via credit card.

Is there a charge using debit cards too?

I think the practice stinks. If you tax your car in person through the DVLA office or a post office they have to pay wages or fees for the revenue collected, but if you pay online by card the cost to the DVLA is far less, and yet they choose to penalise people who do this and save them money.

Pay at the Post Office with bags of 50p coins until they do something to encourage you to do what is best for them.

Regarding filling stations, they should not charge for card use because the amount you pay has already been displayed to you on the pump.

I think the practice stinks. If you tax your car in person through the DVLA office or a post office they have to pay wages or fees for the revenue collected, but if you pay online by card the cost to the DVLA is far less, and yet they choose to penalise people who do this and save them money.

Pay at the Post Office with bags of 50p coins until they do something to encourage you to do what is best for them.

Regarding filling stations, they should not charge for card use because the amount you pay has already been displayed to you on the pump.

It's the credit card companies who are creating the charge in the first place...

Archived