Credit card charges for taxing your car online.

The easiest way to get round this is not to pay the road tax.

NOt being a car owner, I'm not sure the ins and outs, however if you are not happy with the service, don't buy the product. Its the same with car insurance, if you don't like the service, son't buy it.

I'm sure if everyone stoped buying it, then the road tax people would have to do something. While ever you keep paying and whinging, they will still keep charging

Hmm - let me see, the DVLA is a government agency collecting money for the government which owns a couple of banks.

Perhaps they could negotiate free banking?

Don't bring logic and commerciality into it, we are talking Government here. :)

Not 100% sure, but i think that may be a myth - i just looked through the act and can't see any reference to maximum amounts (though like you i thought it was true)

Perhaps it is lower denomination coinage, I've not looked at the Act for 25 years.

Got it - it's under the Coinage Act 1971

But it doesn't apply. The only situation where money has to be accepted is as payment for a debt.

Purchasing an item (such as car tax) is a contract, the seller can legally attach pretty much any conditions they like with regards to what they will accept as payment. They are under no obligation to accept any type of currency at all, nor to give change. So unless the DVLA specify that they will only accept a certain amount of coins you can pay with them. You do need to be careful if paying with a load of £50 notes though, as they are not obligated to give change.

I think the practice stinks. If you tax your car in person through the DVLA office or a post office they have to pay wages or fees for the revenue collected, but if you pay online by card the cost to the DVLA is far less, and yet they choose to penalise people who do this and save them money.

Pay at the Post Office with bags of 50p coins until they do something to encourage you to do what is best for them.

Why vent your spleen on the staff at the Post Office ? It's not their fault the DVLA make a charge for using your credit card on-line :confused:

Why vent your spleen on the staff at the Post Office ? It's not their fault the DVLA make a charge for using your credit card on-line :confused:

Post Office=Government owned organisation.

DVLA=Government owned organisation.

Spot the link???:loopy:

Archived