Apology: "Homeopathy is not witchcraft, it is nonsense on stilts"

Further to that, why should only those who have a misguided belief in homeopathy be afforded more than the 5 minutes with a GP?

They're not. But they will get a much longer chat with their homeopath, even if it is on the NHS. (Though, why anybody would want to visit a gay psychopath I've no idea. :hihi:)

Further to that, why should only those who have a misguided belief in homeopathy be afforded more than the 5 minutes with a GP?

GP's may well be addressing other issues of folk that ask for homoeopathic tinctures.

my view is that if there was anything in homeopathy than taking a drop of whisky, diluting it appropriately with the correct tapping of the container done at the correct times should eventually result in a pint of something that looks just like water but should instantly get everyone in the room roaring drunk simply by taking the cork out of the bottle

thanks to Terry Pratchett for Bearhuggers Homeopathic Whisky

if people want to pay good money for a tiny bottle of sugar tablets then that's up to them, the NHS however can buy a truckload of sugar tablets for the same price and have the exact same effect, the NHS should not be lining the pockets of people who call themselves homeopathic doctors simply because they charge an arm and a leg for what is essentially a placebo that contains no detectable active ingredients

They're not. But they will get a much longer chat with their homeopath, even if it is on the NHS. (Though, why anybody would want to visit a gay psychopath I've no idea. :hihi:)

It was in response to the post saying that

...the patient feels respected, listened to, not talked-down-to and, given a consultation time that far exceeds the current (common with GPs) of 5 minutes ...

I was saying, thats all well and good, but why should it be only people who believe in homeopathy that get that, why should the 'rationalists' not get that too ;)

Nice one for getting a bit of Jasper Carrot in there though I wondered how long that would take :hihi:

I don't really understand how we got to the position where homeopathy is funded in the first place. There have been many new drugs that have been shown to be efficacious through clinical trials but are not available on the NHS because they are not cost effective but homeopathic 'medicines' which have been shown to be no better than placebo are funded. Who made this decision?

Similar to those who consider large tracts of conventional health approaches to be bunkum, yet still have to fund it through taxes.

As many, many, many people have pointed out on this thread :) we don't really get to decide where our taxes go.

It's not a problem of homeopathy, it's a problem with the tax system, if you don't like it, you'll have to take it up with them.

Bear in mind, as well, and, this is established medical science, a huge portion of current health expentiture goes to treating diseases that are self-caused e.g. much (not necessarily all, of course) of current obesity problems, drug caused illnesses (alcohol, nicotine), disfunctional diets etc, etc.

i.e. diseases which are entirely avoidable and unnecessary.

Reflect on the fact that many of those who support/use alternative therapies, tend to put a lot of thought and discipline into their diets and lifestyles- they still have to fund the treatments of people who are ill cos they basically eat too much or use too many drugs.

This isn't about funding treatments that some may disagree with. Its about funding treatments that have a proven track record so your above point is moot. And since homoeopathy doesn't have a proven track record or even a single iota of evidence that it works in anyway, it should not be available on the NHS... Are you really that dense?

To be fair to Onewheeldave, he has a different opinion from everyone else on this thread, but that doesn't make him a nob. He has been polite and tried to respond to what people have written. Theres no need to be hostile towards him, sometimes in the end you just have to agree to disagree (even if the other person is wrong :hihi: )
He's not a 'nob'. He's just ignorant of the facts. Thankfully ignorance is remedial... :)

Where is your evidence to back up this vast claim? Can you demonstrate that no medical study has ever looked at feelings of well being and that they are all entirely concerned with physical effects?

I never said that no study has ever looked at feelings- what I'm referring to is the fact that most do not, as they are focused on the physical effects of substances

Yes if only those medical companies had the ethics of homoeopathy practitioners & companies who all work for free :roll:

It's not at all unethical to get paid for work- the lack of ethics of (some) drugs companies is nothing to do with the fact that they get paid- it's the corruption and lies which makes them unethical.

Good question!

IMO everyone should be afforded more than 5 mins with their GP and it's a disgrace that they aren't.

Nevertheless, conventional health professionals maintain that it's down to costs and cannot be any other way and, conventional health patients tend to accept the situation as they accept many of the negative aspects of the health system.

Most homeopathists, however, refuse to be part of such a shoddy approach to 'healthcare' (believing that adequate consultation time and communication with the patient is essential to health), as do many of those patients who favour homeopathy.

Maybe if conventional health patients became similarly empowered, they too would fight for a decent consultation time.

So rather than base your judgement on established methods of scientific measurement (which prove the homeopathy is total nonsense), you bend the rules to include things where you think homeopathy might look better than 'conventional' medicine.

Things like including patient feelings, good communication between patient and consultant, taking account of the patients wishes in regard to treatment- these are not 'bending the rules' and, the fact that could be seen as such, or, indeed, seen as an irrelevant aspect of health, shows just how far out ot touch with reality, our modern 'health care' system has become.

Archived