Restrict child benefit to co-habiting couples only

I think child benefit should remain compulsory and an inherent part of the state's contribution to child upbringing.

I think any other child based benefits should be withheld for all children with a non declared father on the birth certificate.

Some women genuinely don't know though horrifyingly!

It'd be great if everyone would just be a lot more careful and thoughtful about having children, in a lot of cases it doesn't seem like any planning or thought has gone into it just 'oops I'm pregnant, silly me' as if it's not the single biggest deal in life that there is, and the ultimate and most serious commitment you can ever make to another human being.

I think that marriage should be supported though the benefits/tax system.

What sort of turmoil do you mean?

I'm sure the untold hundreds of thousands who were raised in unhappy families because the parents had no way in which to divorce, would be happy to enlighten you. Thankfully, we don't have that position now; children can be raised by two happy individuals instead of one miserable couple, which is an enormous improvement for the child.

I would restrict child benefits to co-habiting couples only, as an encouragement to parents to stay together for the sake of their children. It's a well-known fact that children brought up with both a mother and father have happier childhoods and grow up into better, more balanced individuals than those brought up by single parents.

As usual you just haven't thought this through :rolleyes:

It'd be great if everyone would just be a lot more careful and thoughtful about having children, in a lot of cases it doesn't seem like any planning or thought has gone into it just 'oops I'm pregnant, silly me' as if it's not the single biggest deal in life that there is, and the ultimate and most serious commitment you can ever make to another human being.

Tough luck imho.

If people are stupid enough to have sex with people whos names they don't know, or so many that they are incapable of dna checks, they don't deserve the help. Ideally it would stop loads of non disclosure issues and fiddles.

It used to be, it obviously wasn't sufficient enough for those wishing to cohabit to get married they preferred to lobby Govt for reform which they got.

I was very heartened the other day to see that the new government is proposing that absent fathers should lose all their benefits, but in my opinion it doesn't go far enough.

I would restrict child benefits to co-habiting couples only, as an encouragement to parents to stay together for the sake of their children. It's a well-known fact that children brought up with both a mother and father have happier childhoods and grow up into better, more balanced individuals than those brought up by single parents.

Perhaps if this were the case, single mothers might be less inclined to run off from their partners at the first signs of trouble and consider the welfare of their child rather than their own? If you can't keep your man, you shouldn't be having kids in the first place!

After the Labour government's hatred for the concept of the family, it would be nice to see the new government redress the balance and offer parents incentives to be a proper family rather than throw free money at those who choose the single life to the detriment of their child's welfare.

Well known myth actually. I brought my two up almost singlehandedly from day one and that because before their dad (my husband) and I split up, he was away serving as a Royal Marine most of the time.

They however have grown up to be decent well adjusted adults with decent lives and have achieved more than either me or their father would have ever done for ourselves.

One thing I would say about the new rules is the bit about single mothers being expected to look for work when their youngest is five? so serial unmarried mothers (we aren't supposed to call them that now) will have a new baby every five years to get out of that won't they?

I think child benefit should remain compulsory and an inherent part of the state's contribution to child upbringing.

I think any other child based benefits should be withheld for all children with a non declared father on the birth certificate.

Memorable comment in a paternity case:

"How should I know who the father is? - If you eat a can of beans, how can you tell which one made your fart?"

sometimes women don't ask to become single parents they work hard at a relationship but the husband cheats so what are they supposed to do? live with a man that has no respect for his wife or his children.:loopy:

I am a single mum and i work 2 jobs to look after my son who is happy, respectful and a high achiever in all his school work. so single parents don't always do a bad job

sometimes women don't ask to become single parents they work hard at a relationship but the husband cheats so what are they supposed to do? live with a man that has no respect for his wife or his children.:loopy:

I am a single mum and i work 2 jobs to look after my son who is happy, respectful and a high achiever in all his school work. so single parents don't always do a bad job

Well said, i totally agree :thumbsup:

Memorable comment in a paternity case:

"How should I know who the father is? - If you eat a can of beans, how can you tell which one made your fart?"

But can she remember the brand. The woman only has to make a note of their names - NHS or whoever can do the rest.She doesn't have to know who get her pregnant.

Archived