Why are low earners etc bad @ budgeting etc

Although i have mentioned this on a seperate thread thought id start a seperate thread...

So why is is that people who are low earners,on benefits or live on depressed council estates find it hard to manage thier finances.

For example they spend a higher % of thier disposable income on non essential branded goods. (ie "nike" trainers). When a cheaper non branded alternative will do. Are parents that obsessed with how thier kids look?.

They also seem to be the sort of people to buy more processed food (has no one taught them to cook). If they learned to cook then they wouldnt spend so much money on poor food.

These people are the ones who then whinge that they owe lots of money to door step lenders.

Money management on a tight budget isnt that hard. It should be something people learn before they drop thier first chavie.

Is it possible that you're confusing cause and effect? Rather than the cause being the income and/or where they live and the effect being an inability to budget well, maybe the cause is a low level of educational achievement and mathematical ability, which results in them being in low paid work and council housing, and another affect of that is the inability to budget well.

I beg to differ. My friend is a single mum on benefits and I find it amazing that she spends every single penny, every week without fail. And ask her what she's spent her money and she can tell you everything, and how much it was down to the last penny. She doesn't waste it. She buys food, nappies, gas, electric, tv licence etc. Occasionally if she has a bit left she'll treat herself to sausage and chips from the chippy or coca-cola instead of a cheap alternative. I find it fascinating. She manages to make £37 last her a full week whereas I could spend that in a day and not even realise!!

Although i have mentioned this on a seperate thread thought id start a seperate thread...

So why is is that people who are low earners,on benefits or live on depressed council estates find it hard to manage thier finances.

For example they spend a higher % of thier disposable income on non essential branded goods. (ie "nike" trainers). When a cheaper non branded alternative will do. Are parents that obsessed with how thier kids look?.

They also seem to be the sort of people to buy more processed food (has no one taught them to cook). If they learned to cook then they wouldnt spend so much money on poor food.

These people are the ones who then whinge that they owe lots of money to door step lenders.

Money management on a tight budget isnt that hard. It should be something people learn before they drop thier first chavie.

Source please.........

Don't you just hate it when people put that.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

Is it possible that you're confusing cause and effect? Rather than the cause being the income and/or where they live and the effect being an inability to budget well, maybe the cause is a low level of educational achievement and mathematical ability, which results in them being in low paid work and council housing, and another affect of that is the inability to budget well.

You could have a point there.

I beg to differ. My friend is a single mum on benefits and I find it amazing that she spends every single penny, every week without fail. And ask her what she's spent her money and she can tell you everything, and how much it was down to the last penny. She doesn't waste it. She buys food, nappies, gas, electric, tv licence etc. Occasionally if she has a bit left she'll treat herself to sausage and chips from the chippy or coca-cola instead of a cheap alternative. I find it fascinating. She manages to make £37 last her a full week whereas I could spend that in a day and not even realise!!

And how does she buy her gas / electric......?

I am not saying this applies to everyone on council estates etc but it is very common.

Simple.

Income - Outgoings = -ve value

Human consumption of goods neccesary for life = £x

Income is less than £x

If your poor, you often get charged more, electricity and gas for example, you can't afford to buy in bulk, you have not the means to travel for cheaper goods or buy wholesale.

You get idiots who waste money on branded/designer goods from all income brackets.

Often people who are poor, don't have a cooker/the means to cook proper food, often they don't have the means to buy food after paying the bills.

Now if thier parents had a good income they wouldnt live in such places.

Not really true that is it?

Some people buy a council house and spend their hard earned money enjoying the good things in life instead of being mortgaged up to their necks with his and her financed up cars on the drive of the house that is taking every penny they have.

Archived