Why are low earners etc bad @ budgeting etc

She has one of those accounts where she buys it at the co-op. A Pre-payment meter. She does live on a council estate and she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but she has control over her money and she knows exactly where it goes every week. She is on benefits also but she has her priorities straight, she doesn't buy luxuries until she has the essentials

She has one of those accounts where she buys it at the co-op. A Pre-payment meter. She does live on a council estate and she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but she has control over her money and she knows exactly where it goes every week. She is on benefits also but she has her priorities straight, she doesn't buy luxuries until she has the essentials

Well for starters she would save a lot of money by not having a prepayment meter.

Simply transfer money to her elec/gas account online every week when she gets her benefits.

Simples.

Well for starters she would save a lot of money by not having a prepayment meter.

Simply transfer money to her elec/gas account online every week when she gets her benefits.

Simples.

I know, But the meters were in the property when she moved in and British Gas won't take them out. They're asking for a deposit of something like £200. Also I think she likes it this way as she doesn't get stung with a big bill. I think she does really well but she never has anything left at the end of the week.

I think that many people not just those on low income/unemployed see materialistic items as providing well for your kids.

Many people who are on bigger incomes and their kids are in childcare buy things for their kids out of guilt. People on lower income get into debt to provide their kids with the latest trainers/gadgets to keep up with everyone else.

Im on the lowest income I've ever been on and am budgeting much more now than ever before.

Simples.

Because she can magically afford a computer, the internet, the cost of changing the meter, the associated phonecalls (maybe even a phoneline to do that) etc.

Although i have mentioned this on a seperate thread thought id start a seperate thread...

So why is is that people who are low earners,on benefits or live on depressed council estates find it hard to manage thier finances.

For example they spend a higher % of thier disposable income on non essential branded goods. (ie "nike" trainers). When a cheaper non branded alternative will do. Are parents that obsessed with how thier kids look?.

They also seem to be the sort of people to buy more processed food (has no one taught them to cook). If they learned to cook then they wouldnt spend so much money on poor food.

These people are the ones who then whinge that they owe lots of money to door step lenders.

Money management on a tight budget isnt that hard. It should be something people learn before they drop thier first chavie.

Are you in any way related to a cetain GB on this forum? You certainly seem to have the same mental agility as him and all the 'facts', I'm sure, are as exhaustively researched. Big respect. :loopy::rolleyes:

Because she can magically afford a computer, the internet, the cost of changing the meter, the associated phonecalls (maybe even a phoneline to do that) etc.

1. Meter change should cost nothing to a credit meter

2. free phone calls are free from a phone box

3. Internet access is free @ the Library etc

I think that many people not just those on low income/unemployed see materialistic items as providing well for your kids.

Many people who are on bigger incomes and their kids are in childcare buy things for their kids out of guilt. People on lower income get into debt to provide their kids with the latest trainers/gadgets to keep up with everyone else.

Im on the lowest income I've ever been on and am budgeting much more now than ever before.

Keeping up with the Joneses syndrome

Archived