Why are low earners etc bad @ budgeting etc

I suppose you could say that about everyone.

People going to university, getting a mortgage, contract phones, purchasing on credit cards.

How dare they get an education, house/flat, mobile and food for crying out loud!

I think you've got a very good point there.

So many people in our country today have ended up with huge amounts of personal debt because they quite natually want what others have. The fear of being different and to want what others have is a huge motivator and probably one of the reasons why we're in the economic mess we are.

I think budgeting and how to run a home should be taught in secondary school. Like the old 'home economics', giving young people of all backgrounds life skills like how to cook, clean and manage their money successfully.

A lot of young people will have little idea how to look after themselves after they leave the parental home.

I think another problem is that the culture of being on benefits goes back to thier parents in many families, so theres no education on managing money, or getting out of the benefits culture

Why would you bother working if the rest of your family on the sink estate dont bother?

Is this aimed at me? I was mearly stating that my friend falls into the OP's category. I have nothing against council estates or people that live in council houses. I live on a council estate. Regardless of whether I have bought my house or not the fact remains that I am surrounded by social housing and don't treat the people living in them any differently to my mortgaged neighbours. Infact I find myself getting quite jealous of my neighbours who have just had new kitchens, bathrooms, windows, doors etc. I wish I could afford to spruce my house up!!!

no its not towards you

Keeping up with the Joneses syndrome

That syndrome doesn't just apply to lower classes. My £3million yacht was only bought because the one berthed next to me cost 2million.

Many rich people probably can't manage their money but get others to do it for them.

You don't have to be poor and on benefits to be absolutley rubbish with budgeting and overspending....!!!:D

Although ending up poor and not entitled to benefits are the result! :o

This is very true. A measurable proportion of middle income people manage to run up huge amounts of debt, you see them in the paper on slow news days, Miss X and her £40k credit card debt.

Archived