Prison as punishment or prison for punishment?

Prison  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Prison

• is the punishment
    • is for punishment
    • I'm confused

I'd like to see chain gangs cleaning the graffiti off buildings (obviously while all chained together) , criminals have the offence they have commited tattoo`d on their foreheads before being released ,so the public know what they have done ,and to serve as a warning to the public as to what they might do again.

I'd like to see banned Sheffield forumers who come back under another username have the word LEPER beside their new username so forum members know what they have done. This will warn forum members to what they might do again.

sorry maybe i didnt explain it right

prison being the punishment is the loss of freedom

the view of for the punishment is such as civic death (losing the right to vote)

Because prisoners do loose that right even though prison is said to be for the punishment that is where the debate starts.

The punishment of imprisonment is indeed denial of liberty. If you're not inside, then perhaps you don't appreciate just what liberty means.

Prison inmates are chained to the clock. 24 hours a day. They get up when they are told to get up, they eat when they are told to eat, work when they are told to work and are banged up when they are told to go into their cells.

Some people may be happy to accept that (I would find it extremely difficult.) They don't have a choice.

I suspect that 'losing the right to vote' is a smokescreen. Prisoners will complain about anything. - Particularly if there's a remote chance that they will be able to screw the taxpayer out of the money spent on legal aid, spend a day or two 'putting their arguments to lawyers' and - if they're really lucky - appearing in court.

Unfortunately, rehabilitation within the system is generally non-existent.

Prison governors work within a budget. Security and safety will obviously take priority over everything else. Everything else must be funded by that budget and in the event that the government should decide to decrease the budget for a prison, where do you think the governor will make the cuts?

Education and rehabilitation are the first targets.

That's incorrect. I think that you'll find that staffing levels are the first to be hit.

The introduction of the core day and recent proposed changes to profiling of staff is the best indicator of that - Chuck in the Govt. proposing to auction of the estate wholesale to the private and third sector and that ices the whole sorry cake :mad:

Yes and No. - As I said, governors can regulate staffing costs in the short term by reducing hours (early bang-ups.)

Reducing the amount spent on education and rehabilitation produces long-term savings (and promotion!)

The prison service has been treated shabbily for many years. I'm amazed that so many people can be bothered to stay there.

LMAO!:hihi:

You missed the bit about the solid gold fittings in the en-suite bathrooms and the waiter service in the 5* restaurants.

How many prisons have you visited/worked in/been in kittenta?

When TVs were introduced, inmates had to pay 50p per week rent for them. That money came out of their 'spend' (which buys everything they may want other than the basics (food, tea, coffee powder.)

Average earnings were about 75p per day (£3.75 pw - tax free!) When TVs were introduced, it was argued that because the inmates could now watch TV, it was reasonable to lock them down an hour earlier. An inmate who misbehaved would lose his TV (but would still be locked in his cell at the same time.)

Meals prepared for them. Indeed. Hopefully , one or two of them can cook - because there aren't many professional chefs.

Games Consoles. Some of the wings may have games consoles (but the inmates can't use them when they're in their cells ;) and if they want their own, they can save up. it will take a while at £3.25 a week.

There are, however, one or two for whom life inside is better than life 'on the out'. That says less for the quality of life in prison than it does for the way they were existing outside. There are also a few habitual criminals - people who look on prison terms as an occupational hazard - but for most people prison is not a pleasant place.

Note my bold, none, zilch, zero (good girl me). That came straight from being told by an ex prisoner. He hated life on the outside and consistanly re-offended to get back in because he felt at home there but totally lost on the outside.

The fashionable view is that prison is for punishment although the truth is that prison is the punishment.

What do you think? Is removal of liberty and personal freedom enough or should there be physical punishment, ritual humiliation hard work as well?

I believe that the removal of liberty is the punishment, after all it's the freedom to decide how we enjoy that liberty that defines us as human beings.

Having said that, I'm not averse to a little ritual humiliation (giving, not receiving) and I'm sure the rates of juvenile crime would reduce dramatically if the miscreants had their pants removed on the town hall steps in full view of a guffawing public ;)

We should re-introduce corporal punishment for petty criminals and vandals.

Restore capital punishment for paedophiles, terrorists and murderers as an option for judges in cases where their guilt is proven beyond dispute (such as with DNA or other compelling evidence).

Why are we letting our criminals having a holiday in prison???? They get better benefits in prison then we do not in prison, play on playstaions, smoke weed, drink alcohol, 23 hours a day!!!

They get better benefits in prison then we do not in prison, play on playstaions, smoke weed, drink alcohol, 23 hours a day!!!

That doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Archived