The Strangest Thing Youve Ever Driven.

I know blokes who have driven Challenger and Chieftain tanks, I knew a steam engine driver, I knew a bloke who drove one of those huge lorries that were about a hundred yards long that took huge lumps of machinery to the Steelworks in Sheffield and I knew a lady who drove an amphibious car once.

I drove an ambulance around Sheffield for a few nights- I was ordered not to switch on the siren or lights and good little boy that I am, I obeyed that order.

Thats it for me, that was the strangest thing I`ve ever driven, pretty boring, eh?

What about you though? Whats the strangest, most unusual vehical youve ever driven, flown, sailed, been into orbit with-- ?

I've driven a few fairly bizzare things in my time.

I drove a steam locomotive on Peak Rail.

I drove an American Diamond T tank transporter on ice whilst trying to tow a tanker full of frozen milk that was blocking a main road on the Yorkshire Moors.

I have driven a number of cars from the 1920s with no front brakes and the accelerator pedal in the centre.

Perhaps the daftest thing was the front half of a 6 cylinder Vauxhall chassis welded to a brass double bedstead. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but not when you applied the brakes at around 60mph.

Archived