Newton, Chambers and CO - Chapeltown

AdamM

AdamM The hospital which was called the C,T,C.if my memory serves me correct was not on Warren Lane but about 150 yrds down the hill more or less opposite the bustop layby which is still there ,this was layed out to service the nurmerous buses that shuttled workers in from the Barnsley area .It was completely covered over around the 1970,s ,it is completly overgrown now ,it was set into the hillside with only the facade showing ,it had 6 inch thick reinforced doors ,it would have made wonderfull youth club ,once inside they could played the music as loud as they liked and not bothered anybody ,such a waste to cover it over ,Bri

Thanks again Bri, you've been a great help. So the main entrance is a dead loss then. Will have a wander and lift any manhole covers nearby to see if i can find an air shaft or anything, sounds like it may well be a dead loss though.

Been up for a wander today and found what I think will be the entrance near the bus stop

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/adamemorgan/Newton%20Chambers%20hospital/DSCN4287.jpg

As you can see the earth is starting to be wshed away and fall into the empty spaces beneath.

Part of what looks to be a three room building:

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/adamemorgan/Newton%20Chambers%20hospital/DSCN4292.jpg

There also seems to be a few large craters with what seems to be very loose earth in the bottom. Could these be anything to do with the hospital? Airshafts maybe?

AdamM i cant comment on the photo of what apears to be a three room building without knowing exactly where you took it ,it looks like the remains of builging that i have seen before ,it,s not part of the hospital as that was constructed of reinforced concrete .the facade of the hospital was only about 4yards from the edge of the road.Where the hospital was situated is now totally overgrown ,Bri.

• 2 weeks later...

I just asked my Dad about the hospital,it was where he had all his teeth out when he was about 25yrs old (due to working at newton chambers)

He said it was half way up the hill on the left towards where the old Tank was,

Is that correct ? (I find other people directions confusing :D )

JJ..

Archived