Help needed regarding moving to a different town

I moved to Sheffield a good 6 years ago, I moved here to be with my partner but we have now split up and i am living in my own place on my own.

I am considering moving back to the town where my parents are and most of my family are, However i can't move in with my parents but i wouldn't want to anyway as i am an independent person but at the moment i am unemployed as i haven't been able to find work.

What i want to know is would the local council rehouse me? I'm not sure about this but can you get priority if you have close family members living in the area you wanna move to?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I moved to Sheffield a good 6 years ago, I moved here to be with my partner but we have now split up and i am living in my own place on my own.

I am considering moving back to the town where my parents are and most of my family are, However i can't move in with my parents but i wouldn't want to anyway as i am an independent person but at the moment i am unemployed as i haven't been able to find work.

What i want to know is would the local council rehouse me? I'm not sure about this but can you get priority if you have close family members living in the area you wanna move to?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you're currently in social housing you could try and exchange? I can't imagine why you'd expect to get priority for a council house in your home town, unless you have some special circumstances. You could contact the local council, and any housing associations in the area and ask them for advice. My guess is you'll have to make your own arrangements such as renting privately/sharing.

I currently rent privately, I have noticed that Blackpool Council offer priority to people wanting to move to the area who have parent's or brothers or sisters living in the area although this might not apply to my Council or other Councils.

They will be loads of private rents for you to be going on with - start looking for work in your home area and you will get a private rent to move into pretty sharpish anyways! That's what I did when I moved to Sheffield, although I did it in the wrong order! I had a flat sorted before I had a job, but gave myself a month to move into the flat which is plenty of time to find something that pays the rent! Good luck!

Archived