Anyone remember making wooden trolleys?

I used to make them all the time when I was a kid.

I was telling my young son about building them using wood and old pram wheels and now he wants me to build him one.

Does anyone have any old rubber pram wheels knocking about so I can make a start?

Thought about going to the tip but people say they aren't allowed to let you take anything away now!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

How about BMX wheels at the rear and smaller kart type wheels at the front? Bolt a lightweight car bucket seat onto an 18 mil ply base, use one length of 4"x2" down the underside centre with another length for the steering section. I reckon that you could rig up a handbrake to stop the rear wheels.

Bloody heck I'm 63 and fancy one myself, I'm having a Compo moment. :D

Seriously though, you and your lad would have a ball foraging around the scrap yards and junk shops, and actually making something yourselves, this takes me back to times when me and my grandad made such things, many moons ago, go for it mate. :thumbsup:

How about BMX wheels at the rear and smaller kart type wheels at the front? Bolt a lightweight car bucket seat onto an 18 mil ply base, use one length of 4"x2" down the underside centre with another length for the steering section. I reckon that you could rig up a handbrake to stop the rear wheels.

Bloody heck I'm 63 and fancy one myself, I'm having a Compo moment. :D

Seriously though, you and your lad would have a ball foraging around the scrap yards and junk shops, and actually making something yourselves, this takes me back to times when me and my grandad made such things, many moons ago, go for it mate. :thumbsup:

Good on you Crookesy!

We will be scouring the tips etc at the weekend for any sort of wheels.

I guess it doesn't have to be the big old pram wheels like I used to use, anyway, I will see what I can find :)

I'm imagining a monster with suspension forks off old mountain bikes welded on the back. Put pics up of what you make!

Your imagination is similar to my sons! :hihi:

I might stretch to a comfy seat but I guess it all depends what I can find.

Actually one of my mates is a welder so.. NO!! A wooden trolley will be fine!! :hihi:

The Boy Scouts (Cubs) used to have annual trolley races in Norfolk park. Kids from all over the City used to race.

I actually won one ofthe races and finished up with mi picture in't Star

I used to make them all the time when I was a kid.

I was telling my young son about building them using wood and old pram wheels and now he wants me to build him one.

Does anyone have any old rubber pram wheels knocking about so I can make a start?

Thought about going to the tip but people say they aren't allowed to let you take anything away now!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

blast from the past, omg... how im still alive i dont know... :hihi: i had one for years as a kid, my best mates john - david and my brother all helped to build it, we had 2 big pram wheels on the front, 2 20" bike wheels at the back, it was huge, i can remember it havin 2 seats one goin fwd the other backwards so you could take turns pushing it with ya feet while sittin down... :cool:

childhood days... now its all health and safety:rolleyes: