Which really rubbish cars do you lust after owning?

I've had my TVR over 4 years now (it's just coming up to it's 22nd birthday), done about 9000 miles. Not once (touch wood) has it failed to get me home...

However, my roadside repairs have included changing a blown fuse, a rotor arm , a coil and an ignition amplifier.

Your evidence is wanting a bit, there... I rest my case, your Honour :D

Good call on the Renaults (Fuego and Rancho), I'd forgotten about these yokes.

This thread's made me want my possessed Lancia Delta back. Imagine auto-opening electric windows, rain (or sun)-sensing windscreen wipers, built-in driver-aware disco dashboard lights and a driver's mind-reading ECU...in a 1991 car!!! :gag:

This thread's made me want my possessed Lancia Delta back. Imagine auto-opening electric windows, rain (or sun)-sensing windscreen wipers, built-in driver-aware disco dashboard lights and a driver's mind-reading ECU...in a 1985 car!!! :gag:

The AWD on the Subaru sports car thing (the XT - looked it up) engaged when you turned the windscreen wipers on. It was front wheel drive most of the time. That was intentional mind you. Your Delta sounds very Italian!

The AWD on the Subaru sports car thing (the XT - looked it up) engaged when you turned the windscreen wipers on. It was front wheel drive most of the time. That was intentional mind you. Your Delta sounds very Italian!
Oh, that it was.

I can't remember if Lancia was already FixItAgainTomorrow-owned by then (it was a '91 car, not '85) but, regardless, their cars already had all the right gremlins in the right (wrong?) places :D

Not had one Italian car since...erm, telling a fib: the Mrs bought a 1.6SX Brava in 97 or 98. That lasted a whole 12 months with us, before we foisted it upon the next very unlucky dealer :twisted:

That one had snowflake-sensing technology (the ultimate safety feature: stops the car permanently (incl. repeatedly stumping RAC and main dealer), so you can't take any risks driving on snow) :thumbsup: But we didn't want that option :(

Bought a 1975 Rolls Royce silver shadow on a whim. Not very expensive but in very good condition (they can be rust buckets) Not exactly a rubbish car but totally impractical and far too big to fit in the garage. Great fun though driving on hot sunny days with air con on full blast and Vivaldi blaring out. Wife (ex) not too impressed though and sold it. Would love to get an early 2CV as someone else mentioned ... they're truly iconic like the roller. :)

Bought a 1975 Rolls Royce silver shadow on a whim. Not very expensive but in very good condition (they can be rust buckets) Not exactly a rubbish car but totally impractical and far too big to fit in the garage. Great fun though driving on hot sunny days with air con on full blast and Vivaldi blaring out. Wife (ex) not too impressed though and sold it. Would love to get an early 2CV as someone else mentioned ... they're truly iconic like the roller. :)

So true, there's a 'builders' Roller near us T-reg ... the wheelarches are like fried bread!

Oooh, I'd like a Lancia Beta Montecarlo, a TR7 and a Mk1 Granada coupe (the fantastic purple metallic version, natch) please!

I blame my parents for letting me stay up to watch The Sweeney and then Bodie and Doyle appearing at the same time as my teenage hormones for my terrible taste in 70s motors. :hihi:

Ooh - and a Matra Rancho - really poor front wheel drive 'off-roader' that as well as being a bit rubbish with regard to looking much more capable than it was and really underpowered, also started the whole 'lifestyle SUV' trend.

Still would though, if they hadn't all rusted away.

I had one of these, which certainly was a bit rubbish. It used to conk out on the motorway, quite regularly in its later years. I took it to a garage to sort the problem out and they tried everything to find out what was causing the problem, even to the extent of running a pipe from a tin of petrol to the carb. It would cruise along quite nicely at 70mph on the flat and as soon as we got to the rise over the River Trent, it cut out. We'd sit there for 10mins (any less and it wouldn't start) and off we'd go again.

I did a 360º twice on the snow, once at the top of Scamblesby Hill and again in Horncastle town centre. Now that was interesting. It was something to do with the profile of the tyres, which once I'd changed the fronts to 'Mud and Slush', it drove OK. The originals were Pirelli, which I got 52,000 miles out of. Next I bought some Vredesteins at half the price of Pirellis, but it didn't really make any difference to the cost as they did half the mileage - 26,000 miles.

In its very early years it towed a 16ft caravan for 350 miles at an average speed of 50mph!

It was hit by another car when it was parked on City Road. The other car knocked it 15ft down the road. The driver said he was blinded by the sun and i believed him because I had the same experience driving down that road, but I stopped and he didn't.

I once saw a thing called a Bond Minicar. It looked to have been made from meccano.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Bond_Minicar_red_1959.jpg

To start it you lifted the bonnet and the engine had a kick start. To reverse you lifted the back end off the ground and carried it round in a circle. COOL.. and apparently vey dangerous.. Oh I want one.

Archived