A question for nutritionists.

In January next year I need to simplify my diet for about four weeks. I need to cut down drastically on cooking anything that is difficult to prepare and cook.

Is it possible to eat wholesomely for about four weeks by eating just cans of soup. Is it possible to get my five a day and not be starved of any required nutrients for that period without it effecting my health?:suspect:

Them that you get in pots now, instead of cans, from the supermarkets, they often have a couple of 5 a day in them, they're much more nutritional than the stuff in the cans.

Stuff like this >>> http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=soup&Page=4 <<<

You'll do well with those.

Those and lots of fruit juice NOT from concentrate it will be just as good as eating a sunday dinner.

In January next year I need to simplify my diet for about four weeks. I need to cut down drastically on cooking anything that is difficult to prepare and cook.

Is it possible to eat wholesomely for about four weeks by eating just cans of soup. Is it possible to get my five a day and not be starved of any required nutrients for that period without it effecting my health?:suspect:

First of all a warning "nutritionist" isn't a controlled term anyone can call them self a "nutritionists" and all manner of quacks do so. "Dietician" upon the other hand is, if you want reliable advice go to a dietician.

Now for the advice of Plekhanov the Nutritionist, as I understand it frozen veg keeps much more of it's goodness (see I must be a nutritionist I use technical terms and everything) than canned. So switch to frozen veg and you should be just fine, most fresh fruit of course takes next to no time to prepare.

I doubt a month off a healthy diet would do you much harm anyway unless you go for a spectacularly bad diet that kind of thing takes more than a month to be a real problem.

Potatoes are, I understand, one of the few foods you could actually live off if it was the only thing you ate. I think it was on QI.

They're easy to prep and cook (get ready washed ones, put it in the microwave) and you could then liven it up with tins of beans, tins of tuna, tins of condensed soup etc on top, a bit of cheese etc on top.

If you're going to live on canned soups then you're going to have a pretty dreadful diet health wise.

How about preparing some really lovely home made soups in advance and freezing them in individual portions? That way round you will be able to pop one in the microwave and know exactly what's in the soup.

Potatoes are, I understand, one of the few foods you could actually live off if it was the only thing you ate. I think it was on QI.

They're easy to prep and cook (get ready washed ones, put it in the microwave) and you could then liven it up with tins of beans, tins of tuna, tins of condensed soup etc on top, a bit of cheese etc on top.

If you just ate potatoes and literally nothing else then you'd probably still end up malnourished- you'd survive probably, but that's just because there's enough carbohydrate in a potato to keep your energy systems running, but there's not enough of a whole load of things to keep you healthy long term.

If you're going to live on canned soups then you're going to have a pretty dreadful diet health wise.

How about preparing some really lovely home made soups in advance and freezing them in individual portions? That way round you will be able to pop one in the microwave and know exactly what's in the soup.

But if I eat vegetable soups am not I getting all the nutrients without the complication of making things? I don't mind stretching it to cooking a can of beans too.

Archived