Carwood Rd area Pitsmoor.

I would like to contribute my memories of Carwood Road/Petre Street.

Across the road on Petre Street was another butcher's called Fred Jubb, Yates's Newsagents, Pearson's fruit shop, and a cobbler's. At the bottom of Canada Street was shop run by Mr & Mrs. Rodgers, my Aunt Jessie Raynes lived on Canada Street opposite the house which was destroyed in the explosion. My Great Aunt Helen Nolan had a sweet shop, which she had in the front room of her house, this was on Petre Street going towards Smith's field on the other side of the road.

Wasn't there a second hand/swap shop next door or in the same row as Yates's?

If the sweet shop you mention was on the same side of Petre Street as Yates's but further on (the last shop on the street) then it would be the place where we bought single cigarettes (Park Drive) for 2d to smoke on Smith's field. It was against the law even then but was not the taboo it is today. I hope this revelation doesn't get your great aunt into too much trouble!

Yes - on the track that runs behind the old Bell Hagg Inn - two wheels of the cart somehow left the track and it turned over. My sister worked at the riding stables nearby - it happened in August 1961.

This scan from a 1940s directory might have some familiar names..:)

Wow, this is a very old list, it mentions Munition St in the bottom left corner, Most people will have never have heard of it and have no idea where it was. I lived on Carwood Terrace from about 1948 and I found on a map (about 1900) a few weeks ago.

Hi Skippy & Jim, Thanks for your replies. Thought you may find one of my experiences of 'playing out' on Carwood Road rather amusing. On one occasion someone's budgie had escaped, all the kids on Carwood Road decided to recapture it. The general opinion was that it would'nt be all that dificult!. Reinforcements soon arrived from surrounding areas, before long about 40 kids were chasing the budgie all over Carwood Road, whenever it landed usually on a high window sill all the kids would stand below with one finger stuck out, ever-body convinced it would come and land on their finger and be proudly taken home to a very grateful owner, needless to say this did not happen. I seem to remember this went on for a few hours.

On another occasion I can remember being in Billy Limbs one Saturday morning when a girl from Carwood Lane came into the shop for her Mother's joint wearing her wedding dress she was getting married that day and wanted every-one to see her wedding dress.

My sister remembers Aunt Helen selling cigs, she says she used to keep them in a sweet jar, hope she didn't buy any she was only six at the time.

Skippy , unfortunately Stan died some years ago, Agnes died two years ago. Neil is not to well at the moment, but I will remember him to you when I see him.

Gday Dave, Mrs Lillis could have been his sister in law, as that was her married name, I'm not sure whether she was divorced or widowed at the time we lived there.

I know all about the ex army vehicles at Gillotts mate, I worked there for 2 years after leaving school, it was my job to work the windscreen wipers by hand when it rained heavily, the air conditioners were flaps that we opened to let air in when it was warm, and the windows were like the sash windows that were in the old houses, or worked on a similar system.

Don't know anything about Ben Warris ? the shop peoples names were before my time, we were there from 65 to 70.

RE Ben Warriss, he did live on Petre st,close to where my mother lived as a girl .It was on the section between Ellesmere & Sutherland Rd

I keep seeing many references to the Gillotts bread vans ,also remember they often hadn't shut the doors correctly and so they lost the loaves shooting up Lyons St. Does anyone remember the Stones beer steam and chain driven lorries in the early 50s They were also often at Petre St and Lyons St delivering to the beer off shops as many still had cellars and beer engines like at Rose Cottage and Liverseys at Carwood Lane

reading your post my brothers girl friend of that time 1955 1956 lived on canada street was about 18-19 years old she worked for years at cole brothers and also went to the roxy dance hall at page hall lived i think near the top of canada st. we wonder if she is still with us. it would be interesting

ee what memories eh! i was bred n born in canada st. went to all saints (mr hall head miss sales dpty) mrs manning class teacher. then up to bgreave(miss coupe head miss driver dpty) i remember most of the afore mentioned. do any of you remember the gas blast in canada st sadly killing mr mrs martin, colleys tripe yard(the stench when they were boiling) the scissor factory mid canada st. all that red smog from bramalls petre st.etc etc could go on for hours(possibly due to one finger typing:) im new on here, but so enjoy reading about my roots and seeing names from the past. some names from canada st.=rodgers(beer off) jessie bill barkworth,claytons,wiffins,woodhalls, turrells,fothergills,halls,appleyards,schofields,tomlinsons,walmsleys.

so many great times so many great memories.regards to all