Carwood Rd area Pitsmoor.

Only the groceries, ask Dors about Ma R.

Now I know who you're talking about, remember them well, ha ha, mother and daughter were the regular entertainment on the last bus from town to Grimesthorpe every weekend when I was taking Dor's home.

Only the groceries, ask Dors about Ma Richards, once saw her mother thrown of the bus with her skirt and undies tucked under arm,not a pretty sight watching her wobble down the aisle. As for the Simmonites, my wife is from Hunsley St and I never heard of any reference to them having relatives there.

beezerboy - don't understand your post 'never heard of any reference to them'..... I referred to a Simmonite living on Hunsley St on my earlier#46 post. Obviously a relative of your wife, I personally didn't know of any connection, I just threw it out there.

The Simmonites lived in Carwood Crescent not Carwood Terrace (David & Pete who I think now lives in Australia) I hung around with the Smith brothers fron the Terrace.

Don't know about Peter, but Dave lives off Prince of Wales road at Darnall, I phoned him about 18 months ago. He couldn,t help with others of our time from Carwood Terrace .Lived there from about'48 to '67 , friends were Terry Thompson , Barry Fitter, Robert Ferguson, Reg Justice. Does anyone remember a Kenny Box ,bit of a gentle giant. I also worked at Burgeons,delivering groceries around Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe , walked bl--dy miles with that handcart.Hated to have to go to the Richards family on Cyclops St, she was once in the tin bath in front of the fire and shouted come in.

I remember Ken Box, he had a sister, Susan I think and they lived next to the Hallcar, As for the Richards family, I used to deliver there too and apart from the daughter being rather attractive the whole family was whacko!

i only found "Sheffield Forum" a couple of weeks ago, and I can't believe that one day I would be sitting in a Manhattan skyscraper reading all this evocative stuff, Great!!

The bakery shop, Petre St./Kingston St. was run in the 50's by a couple whose name I forget, but the husband had a bad limp and always wore a dark grey smock coat. Their speciality was those tri-angular, puff pastries filled with jam. Anyone remember the hardware shop on Petre St. near to Sutherland Rd. ( right side going towards town ). The woman had a severe facial twitch and took ages to pump up paraffin with a hand wheel on the counter. There was a Doreen Hutton on Carwood Terrace or Crescent who married and moved to Nottingham in the 50's. A young woman called Elva Harrop taught the piano at the top of Carwood Rd. Mr.Walker of the lingerie shop Sedan St./Canada St.had a Standard saloon reg DCT 171 and was always driven around in it by a younger chap. Other names;the window cleaner, Mr.Wilson who wore a Berry and had a 3-wheel, Reliant van, Keith Green, Raymond Armitage of Sedan St. and the old, pipe smoking attendant at Warriners' garage, George Herbert. The vicar at All Saints' was a Rev. Murray-Penfold who didn't practice what he preached and regularly got lads caned for trespassing in his vicarage; not a nice man.

I remember him Penfold, his son was in our class at All Saints. I think his name was Roland and if you mis-behaved in class he would go home and tell his Dad! Like father like son I suppose.

I would like to contribute my memories of Carwood Road/Petre Street.

I lived there from approx 1947 to 1963. My Mother Mary Sissons had the hairdressers on Carwood Road No 102. The chip shop was the shop below, which shared our yard was run by Pheobe & Johnny Phipps, they had a son called Johnny, who was about my age (born 1945). I believe this was later taken over by a family called Weston. We moved across the road to No 87 sometime in the 50's We shared the yard with the Footit's,Atherton's, Shaw's.

I also remember the Hindmarsh's, Connealy's, Mansell's, Calton's, Mary Stubbs was a friend of my Mother. My cousin Agnes & Stan Warris lived in the bottom house, her son was called Neil Warris, she later took over the shop at the bottom of Carwood Road and Petre Street, before that I believe the shop was run by Mrs. Holmshaw. In the same yard as Billy Limb was Mrs. Lillis, Mr & Mrs Crossland and Mr & Mrs Ellis. Across the road on Petre Street was another butcher's called Fred Jubb, Yates's Newsagents, Pearson's fruit shop, and a cobbler's. At the bottom of Canada Street was shop run by Mr & Mrs. Rodgers, my Aunt Jessie Raynes lived on Canada Street opposite the house which was destroyed in the explosion. My Great Aunt Helen Nolan had a sweet shop, which she had in the front room of her house, this was on Petre Street going towards Smith's field on the other side of the road. I remember Mr. Liversey very well, his shop was on the other side of Carwood Road from my Mother's hairdressers shop. There was also a shop up Carwood Lane called the Rose Cottage, just below the Hallcar.

I can remember the trams running on Petre Street, you could stand at the bottom of Carwood Road and see them coming from almost as far as Grimesthope.

I think this may be the shop.

i lived in Petre St between Lyons St and Sutherland Rd from 1947 til 75. At one time I delivered papers for Mr Yates, not the nearest paper shop to me, Potter's was. I then went to work for Gowers & Burgon, Lyons St/Petre St. I remember all the stores, Mr Livesey in brown smock. Rogers' was the cleanest well-stocked shop there was. The junk shop became Roger's barbers and Eric Hooley was a mad, and probably still is, Wednesdayite. The Simmonites lived in Carwood Crescent not Carwood Terrace (David & Pete who I think now lives in Australia) I hung around with the Smith brothers fron the Terrace.

Great picture of the Crescent.

Now I know who you're talking about, remember them well, ha ha, mother and daughter were the regular entertainment on the last bus from town to Grimesthorpe every weekend when I was taking Dor's home.

Which one was in the bath tho trev,neither was a pretty sight.i knocked about with pauline but she lived with auntie/uncle on adsetts st.Haven't looked at all this thread so you may know,but eric hooley passed away a few years ago so did his wife pauline.

That's started me off. Gas lamp women with their ladders winding up the timers; 6 x wheel electric, green and cream SCCD bin lorries, the back of which tipped vertically to shake down the rubbish ( mainly ashes from the coal fires, most combustables having been burned on the fires, unlike today); 'Fever-grate' lorries ( gully emptiers ); 'Old King Coal' in full regalia with crown coming once a year on a Co-oP lorry; Whit Walks; sledging; Brown's Ice cream vans; **** from All Saint's spire on the ground for maintenance; Co-oP divi numbers; firework clubs,yo-yo's, balsa wood gliders, swapping comics, conkers; watching TV aerials go up almost daily; rag and bone man with goldfish or Donkey stone; ( was Monday washing day all around ? ) Green Shield stamps; Padget's Checks (or cheques ?); Tizer and Joy-Stick lollies; conscripts home on leave made men of; being able to see the pit heads on the opposite side of Don Valley only at bank holidays or works' weeks closures ( who had that correct? We said 'Works' Weeks' but it's 'Wakes Weeks' in other places); street trips on Chara-bancs ( 'bangs'). Kettle's boiling, so all for now.

I think this may be the shop.

We used to live at 251 Petre St. from 1965 - 1970 in the house that Mrs. Ellis used to live in. It was the same yard as the Warris's. We lived between Mrs. Lillis and Joyce and Alan Wilson. The people that took the corner shop on Canada St. when the Rogers left were Elsie and Roy. One of Elsie's daughters, Pauline lives in Aus not far from us. When Elsie and Roy came out to visit they brought them to see us.