'The Times' starts charging online readers. A taste of things to come?

Guest sibon
Is this the start of a new dawn for those who like to keep informed? Should we be concerned that in the future all news will be charged on a 'pay as you go' basis?

Link here.

I have to say that it's not my bag, but is this a shrewd business move on their part or simply financial suicide?

I have The Guardian on my phone. It cost £2.50 about six months ago. I haven't bought a paper since I downloaded the app.

I have no idea how they make money out of it though. No repeat fee and no adverts. I guess things will have to change,

Is this the start of a new dawn for those who like to keep informed? Should we be concerned that in the future all news will be charged on a 'pay as you go' basis?

Link here.

I have to say that it's not my bag, but is this a shrewd business move on their part or simply financial suicide?

newspapers are charged on a pay as you go basis, so why shouldn't the websites related to that paper charge too?

journalists and the support staff all need paying, so where does the money come from?

There are plenty of ways of making money if you have a brand as hugely powerful and penetrating as The London Times. They don't have to follow the Zeitgeist, they ARE the Zeitgeist if they want to be. The fact that News International don't seem to understand it beggars belief and was typified when they bought the under 14 chaos that is MySpace.

They don't get the internet. The future of media is free to consumer.

I didn't mention advertising.

If a media organisation can't see past advertising or a paywall they will go out of business as can be seen from the media companies that rely on advertising and paywalls which are going out of business.

I didn't mention advertising.

If a media organisation can't see past advertising or a paywall they will go out of business as can be seen from the media companies that rely on advertising and paywalls which are going out of business.

unfortunately, content doesn't get created for free

so its either funded by advertising or the consumer has to pay for it

There are plenty of ways of making money

More so

if you have a brand as hugely powerful and penetrating as The London Times

Newspapers are a business. If they leave a void others will fill it. The trouble with pay walls is that it leaves the newspaper nowhere to go so they had better hope the void isn't filled quickly.

As Eric Morecambe once said... Eenin Stanit

It's a shame to the extent that it only leaves the The Telegraph, Independent and Guardian as the broadsheets free online. On SF I often deliberately link to a story in the Times when it is also in the Guardian and Indy, because if I link to a piece in the Guardian or Indy, certain berks will dismiss it out of hand. And the Telegraph is just dreadful.

doesnt matter, i pay my tv license for the bbc so i expect to get FREE online news off the bbc site :)

Ah but that's a problem. Murdoch and others have been complaining about the BBC providing content for free (so to speak) specifically because it made it more difficult for them to successfully charge for their newspaper content online. The BBC has already been forced to remove a large percentage of their web-presence and I expect the attacks will continue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8227915.stm

Archived